Does anyone know why the transformation parameters are no longer provided in 10.3?

06-10-2015 07:10 AM
DevlynRobson
New Contributor II

I'm curious to know why the details of a selected transformation are no longer displayed in the Project tool in 10.3.1. The parameters display as

'Composite Transformation -count=1'.

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Devlyn,

I guess you can use a combination of multiple transformation systems, if valid. That's why its shows composite transformation with the no. of transformations applied.

Think Location
0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Devlyn, what exactly are you referring to, when you say the "details" of the transformation? In 10.2 no more details are shown, although the interface has a slightly different look:

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It's a bug. Internally we could either refer to a "transformation" object or a "composite transformation" object. We switched over to treating both as a "composite transformation" (the first one has only 1 element) and broke the reporting of the transformation parameters on the UI.

Melita

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Melita,

Just want to be sure I am crystal clear with understanding this. This change affects 10.3 onwards. All transformations are now referred to as "Composite Transformation" in the Geographic Coordinate System Transformation dialog then a count? So the OSGB_1936_to_WGS_1984_Petroleum is a single transformation and gets a count of 1.

I was trying to follow the instructions here​ to use the OSTN02 transformation from Ordnance Survey. They show the text: NTv2 - dataset=uk/OSTN02_NTv2 in the transformations dialog. I was unsure if I had messed up but from reading this thread it is a "cosmetic" issue?

Duncan

0 Kudos
AngelaMüller
New Contributor III

Hi Devlyn,

it's a submitted bug for version 10.3.1 (BUG-000088192). The workaround is to close the data frame properties, reopen it and reapply the transformation. You will mention that the transformation appears twice. The trick is to use the copy. In this case the transformation parameters will appear as usual. Strange behavior in 10.3.1 only.

Angela