converting a gdb to another coordinate system

03-05-2015 09:34 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

I received a gdb of a water system. The system is in meters. I have an engineer that is going to need to work read the data in another piece of software. That software works in feet. Is there a way for me to convert this data to feet? I know I can display it in feet in arcmap, but as far as another software using it, I'm just not sure.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

You can reproject the data to a coordinate system that uses feet for the units.  To reproject, use the Project tool in toolbox.

MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jake....can i do the entire map or do I do it one feature class at a time? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can do your entire map fairly painlessly using the Project tool in batch processing mode. This will open a batch processing grid into which you can drag and drop the desired layers from the table of contents.

edit: apparently this functionality is so popular that there is a Batch Project script tool packaged with ArcGIS (at least at 10.1).

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Weirdly enough, the batch mode of the Project Tool is more stable (or at least was more stable last I heard) than the Batch Project Tool.

Melita