CGVD28 to CGVD2013 Transformation File Format

02-04-2019 08:10 AM
Labels (1)
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I'd like to be able to convert between two Canadian vertical coordinate systems: CGVD28 and CGVD2013.  The staff at Natural Resources Canada have a conversion grid which is in ".byn" format (Canadian Geodetic Survey binary geoid file), but have offered to convert to another format if ArcGIS can't read/use it.  I don't have a handle on the different methods & formats supported, and which would be most appropriate.  Melita Kennedy‌, what can I tell them?  Or - is this file something ESRI already has in hand?

6 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well Melita thought it would be available in ArcMap 10.7 and in ArcGIS Pro 2.3

https://community.esri.com/message/762405-re-is-it-possible-to-apply-a-vertical-datum-transformation... 

There are other references in that thread, of which you have discovered.  Canada doesn't provide those tools other than for manual entry and not file base.  The Data Interoperability extension may have it built in at present, but I haven't checked.

Melita Kennedy‌ any news, re 2.3 or 10.7?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Notable Contributor

I replayed to the other thread. No, didn't make it. It's now on the list for 2.4/10.7.1.

Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Melita

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Has this been added for ArcMap 10.8.1? I'm hoping it's there, but I can't find it.
Or Pro 2.6?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry, not yet!! My team hopes to concentrate on geoid models/vertical transformation grids in the next release.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos