ArcMap-SPCS Zone Edge Distortions

Jump to solution
10-04-2017 04:51 AM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.4.1.

I am still reviewing the basics of map projections and came across the concept of planar projections not fully touching at edges, due to distortion, if for example, the globe was projected using a planar stereographic type Planar Projection.   However, I it seems to me that none of the State Plane zones would likely "stich" together seamlessly at the edges either.  But I also thought one of the advantages of the State Plane System was that it offered continuity between large areas that are projected.  So I have to ask, do the State Plane projections between states touch seamlessly at edges, or can one expect a distorted miss-alignment along zone edges ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chuck, 

Most projections will not "stitch together" on the edges. Polyconic is one that will, normal cylindricals (not transverse or oblique Mercator) as well. A state plane zone is designed for the zone's area, not whether it will match up with neighboring zones.

I hadn't heard that state plane zones were designed for continuity for large areas (except within a zone). Instead, I think it was to define a coordinate reference system with overall linear distortion no worse than one part in 10000.

Melita

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can't speak for state plane, but in older UTM maps in Canada at scales of 1:50,000, there used to be vertical shifts along the edges of map sheet adjacent polygons.  I would suspect/hope that such artifacts would be 'corrected' in digital versions.  As a test, crank 2 adjoining map sheet up and have a look

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chuck, 

Most projections will not "stitch together" on the edges. Polyconic is one that will, normal cylindricals (not transverse or oblique Mercator) as well. A state plane zone is designed for the zone's area, not whether it will match up with neighboring zones.

I hadn't heard that state plane zones were designed for continuity for large areas (except within a zone). Instead, I think it was to define a coordinate reference system with overall linear distortion no worse than one part in 10000.

Melita