What type of coordinates are these?

Jump to solution
01-06-2015 07:20 AM
ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Hi

I have an xls with georeferenced points. I need to get the xls to arc desktop but i cannot get the points to be represented correctly. They are in the Atlantic ocean and they should be in Europe. Does anyone recognize these coordinates and help me figure out which map unit and coordinate system to get it projected correctly? Also could the problem be that the data was recorded with comma separators (euro style) and it is looking for periods?

Attached is the example of referenced points.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When displaying the data in ArcMap as an event layer, you will want to make sure you are using the coordinate system WGS_84 since the coordinates are geographic.  You can then reproject the event layer to a shapefile in Web Mercator projection (see attached).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Shelby,

The commas seem to be the issue.  If the commas are converted to periods, you will have Lat & Long values where X_WGS is the Longitude and Y_WGS is the Latitude.

0 Kudos
ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Thanks for your quick response Jake,

I did a quick find (commas) and replace (periods) and reran everything. I think I broke it even more. Check out the attached photo. Also attached is the xls with the original data because I think it might make this easier to help. The goal is to get this xls data as a shapefile or layer in the web mercator projection.  I set the dataframe to web mercator, projected the data to web mercator, but what about the map units?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

When displaying the data in ArcMap as an event layer, you will want to make sure you are using the coordinate system WGS_84 since the coordinates are geographic.  You can then reproject the event layer to a shapefile in Web Mercator projection (see attached).

ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

One last question, how did you the convert commas to periods? My results are above in my last post. Decimals.png

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

The Excel file you provided already had the commas converted to periods.  I didn't have to do any conversion on my part.  This could be possibly due to the language locale of Excel, but I'm not entirely sure.

0 Kudos