suggested projections or coordinate systems

03-16-2016 04:17 AM
IeuanHarry1
New Contributor III

I work on a variety of projects that involves data in vector and raster format across a variety of different locations across the world. Most of this data is received from the client who has no knowledge of the coordinate system/projection used. After finding the location of the project I often have to try and find out the projection thats used so that I can align everything in "real-world" space. Up until now I have used a website Georepository which lets you place a point on a map and it then gives a list of possible projections, however this website hasn't worked for a few months.

Does anybody know of any other resources that could help?

In an ideal world I would like to navigate to the location in ArcMap using a basemap and then a list of suggested projections would be available under the Coordinate System tab in Data frame Properties but im guessing this is something ofr the ESRI Ideas page

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi, it looks liked the Georepository site is working for me:

Geodetic Parameter Database

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

You can search by name or area in ArcMap data frame properties, coordinate system tab. There's also a PDF file in the documentation folder of the ArcGIS for Desktop installation which lists areas of use. Much of this information comes from the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry--which is where Georepository, spatialreferences.org, epsg.io also got their information.

Melita

Disclosure: I'm on the subcommittee that maintains the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry.

MayDickson
New Contributor

Hi, another website (although Melita covers it well) that I have found since I have been having similar issues with Georepository is ProjFinder Yo