How can I get data without false Easting to have false Easting?

05-16-2018 05:23 AM
Labels (1)
ManuelSchneider2
New Contributor

Hey,

I have data in a File-GDB, that has originally no projection (it came from importing a CAD-file).

The coordinates of the data seem to be in the UTM33N Zone, and that's also what the GDB should be finally in.

But its coordinate all have a leading '5' in their Easting, but the 'WGS 1984 UTM Zone 33N' (WKID 32633) has a false Easting of 500000. (Coordinate in GDB: 33N 5553197 5921595; Target Coordinate in UTM 33N: 33N 553197 5921595)

Basically, I have to get rid of the leading '5' in the Eastings.

I already tried copying the original UTM33N Definition and setting the false Easting to 0, but it changed nothing, the data still is displayed far right of its intented place.

Does anybody know how to deal with this? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

1) If you simply need to move the data, start an edit session and select all data and choose "Move" and you can type in an offset. I recommend making a copy of the file first, in case the result is not what you want. 

2) Be certain that it is a site coordinate issue, and not a projection or feet to meters issue.

Best regards

Jim

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you sure it's really UTM and not a GK zone? They often have the zone number added to the false easting coordinates. We have entries for Germany, Poland, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Czech Republic.

If you're sure that it's UTM 33N, copy and modify that definition (change the name)--add the 5 million to the false easting. Assign it to the data using Define Projection Tool or the data's property page. Use the Project Tool to convert to the regular UTM 33N definition. 

Melita