CGVD28 to CGVD2013 Transformation File Format

02-04-2019 08:10 AM
KentBuchanan
New Contributor II

I'd like to be able to convert between two Canadian vertical coordinate systems: CGVD28 and CGVD2013.  The staff at Natural Resources Canada have a conversion grid which is in ".byn" format (Canadian Geodetic Survey binary geoid file), but have offered to convert to another format if ArcGIS can't read/use it.  I don't have a handle on the different methods & formats supported, and which would be most appropriate.  Melita Kennedy‌, what can I tell them?  Or - is this file something ESRI already has in hand?

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well Melita thought it would be available in ArcMap 10.7 and in ArcGIS Pro 2.3

https://community.esri.com/message/762405-re-is-it-possible-to-apply-a-vertical-datum-transformation... 

There are other references in that thread, of which you have discovered.  Canada doesn't provide those tools other than for manual entry and not file base.  The Data Interoperability extension may have it built in at present, but I haven't checked.

Melita Kennedy‌ any news, re 2.3 or 10.7?

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I replayed to the other thread. No, didn't make it. It's now on the list for 2.4/10.7.1.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Melita

0 Kudos
SarahNorth
Occasional Contributor

Has this been added for ArcMap 10.8.1? I'm hoping it's there, but I can't find it.
Or Pro 2.6?

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry, not yet!! My team hopes to concentrate on geoid models/vertical transformation grids in the next release.

MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos
GIScs
by
New Contributor

@MelitaKennedy Hi Melita, curious about this! As of 2022, is there a tool for CGVD28 <-> CGVD13? Thanks you!

BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

@GIScs

Yes, we do support conversion of heights between CGVD28 and CGVD 2013 and CGVD 2013 (CGG2013a). You can use Project tool with Vertical option turned on, or you can do it on-the-fly in ArcGIS Pro.

Bojanavri_0-1657911908380.png

Please note, you will need to install supplementary coordinate system files, which include CGG2013 and CGG2013a geoid models and other conversion grid files. 

I hope this helps,
Bojan

0 Kudos
BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

Please note that we added support for vertical transformations between CGVD28 and CGVD2013 in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. You will need to install supplementary coordinate system files, which include CGG2013 and CGG2013a geoid models and other conversion grid files. 

I hope this helps,
Bojan

0 Kudos