When converting a duplicate idea to a comment: Indicate that the comment was originally an idea

02-25-2022 03:08 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

When ESRI staff merge ideas by converting the duplicate idea to a comment:
It would help if the comment could indicate that it was inserted by the system/ESRI — and was formerly an idea.

Reason:
Comments that were converted from ideas often appear to come out of nowhere. As far as I can tell, there's no way to tell that they were originally ideas. Example: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/calculating-the-x-and-y-coordinate-automatically/idc-...  That idea—>comment doesn't have any context. So the person who had commented previously was confused, since they’d already addressed the issue in a previous comment.

If some background info were added as a auto-generated header, explaining where the comment came from, then that would avoid confusion.

"This comment was originally a separate idea; merged."

7 Comments
SimiBasu
Status changed to: Closed

Thank you @Bud for this idea. We will be doing some user education around this which will notify the author when making the move to a comment or idea. Thanks Simi.

Bud
by

@SimiBasu Thanks.

I actually think the author already gets a notification. Instead, what I'm hoping for is: communicate to other readers what has happened.

SimiBasu

@Bud yes. So this will an education fix for our ideas managers, and community team/ moderators need to make a comment for other readers. I will keep you posted once it is done so we can verify. Thanks.

Bud
by

Hi @SimiBasu and @JesseCloutier 

I think this idea should be re-opened. As far as I can tell, Esri Ideas Managers aren't manually adding text to merged ideas that get converted to comments to explain where the comment came from. To me, it seems unrealistic to ask all Ideas Managers to do that manually.

I think it should happen automatically. Thoughts?

JesseCloutier

Hi @Bud! I'm tagging in @DaraBurlo, our Community Manager focused on ArcGIS Ideas, to get up to speed on this thread and respond.

MichelleMathias
Status changed to: Under Review

DaraBurlo

Hi @Bud 

We've changed the status of this idea and are looking into this customization effort.