Related links to a question

02-22-2021 08:14 AM
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When examing the "Related links" to the right of a question:

upside      : there are often some tidbits of wisdom and knowledge... 

downside : some of the links are totally useless because they are

• extremely old,
  • don't apply to the software in question,
  • they have have been archived or
  • references within them are archived or no longer in existence.

Color Balance Fails - GeoNet, The Esri Community

The Related links should be filtered by the Community that they lie in first, then keywords.

6 Comments
by Anonymous User

Thanks Dan, we're exploring this issue with our support team to understand why it would surface archived content as well as understanding why the logic is displaying the content it does. Will report back. 

by Anonymous User

We were able to investigate this further. What is displayed in the related links is also controlled by your permission level in the community. Therefore you see content that is archived because your permissions allow you to access that. I logged in as a different permission level and was able to see that a member without those permissions only saw content they could access i.e. not archived. Even though that's the feature by design I don't believe it's a good user experience so we'll add that to our backlog list and see if we can get that OOB component improved.

As to the algorithm that controls the related content and it maybe not bringing back smart suggestions we'll find out if there are any plans to enhance that. 

by Anonymous User

Further update, we did a config change on this to limit the scope of the search to the board you're in rather than the whole community. Looks like from very initial testing this helps so I'd be interested to hear your experience further as you continue to look at posts and see if Related links look improved in their relevance. 

DanPatterson

I will check it out in more detail this week and record any issues.  Thanks Louise

by Anonymous User

Can you let us know if you still think there is an improvement opportunity on this after the change to the context of related links?

SimiBasu
Status changed to: Closed

@DanPatterson This is working as expected, please let us know if you are still having issues. Thanks Simi