03-21-2022 09:06 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

In ArcGIS Community posts...when using a proper code block:

console("Hello World")

Problem:
After editing the post, line breaks will be automatically added before and after the code block.

console("Hello World")

Those extra spaces aren't wanted.

Whereas we don't have that problem with pre-formatted text:

console("Hello World")

We can edit the post without extra spaces being added around the pre-formatted text (which is good).

Idea:
Could code blocks be improved so that editing the post doesn't create extra space around the code block?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
7 Comments
KenBuja

This is a known issue: https://community.esri.com/t5/community-help-documents/known-issues/ta-p/918411

12/10/2020

Editing existing content e.g. blogs

Deletion of white spaces is not being rendered correctly when publishing.  For example: After creating a post (or reply) with a code block, whenever the post/reply is edited, an extra new line is added above and below the code block. This compounds with repeated edits.

Fix release delayed (new date tbc)

Thomas_Z2

Hopefully Esri gets finally rid of this WYSIWYG editor and introduce a usable Markdown editor... It's torture writing answers/questions here.

SimiBasu
Status changed to: Requested

Thank you @Bud for this idea. We recognize this as a bug and I have opened a case with our vendor to fix this bug. Will let you know if I need any additional details. Thanks Simi

SimiBasu
Status changed to: Closed

Hi Bud. The analysis on this is completed with the vendor and the engineering team mentioned that this is an known issue. At this time they do not have a fix as this is related to the RTE version. This issue does not persist in the next release that is coming next year. So ideally, once the new release is complete, we should not be facing this anymore. I am closing this for now and have added this to revisit in the Known Issues. Thank you for your patience with this. Have a wonderful weekend!

Cheers!

Simi Basu

Community Operations Manager

MErikReedAugusta

Has there been any update on this?  The last post from @SimiBasu was from ~18 months ago suggesting that it would be in the subsequent year's release.  Did the vendor delay again, or did the fix just not 'take'?

I notice in the Known Issues page that @KenBuja linked above, it's alleged that the issue was fixed this past December 5th, but I had to edit a post with a code block just this past Friday and had the extra line breaks appear again, still.

JesseCloutier

Thanks for your patience on this, @MErikReedAugusta. Our platform vendor has begun rolling out the updated version Simi mentioned in her comment. We currently anticipate implementing it for Esri Community later this year and our expectation is still that the bug will be fixed as part of that update.

MErikReedAugusta

Thanks for the update!