Transfer Geonet Content to Different Account

Jump to solution
12-27-2021 12:39 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have an old account in Geonet (@BrettFrahm) that I would like transfer all posts to my current account so I can delete the old one. Is there anyway that this can be done by me or ESRI support?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

@Anonymous User  I see you have 6 posts associated with the bFrahm account and 15 posts associated with the other account:  BrettFrahm1.  I cannot actually merge the posts into one account , but I can switch your credentials from bFrahm to the BrettFrahm1 account so the older/more posts are associated with those credentials and then delete the account with 6 posts, which means those posts will remain active and  visible, but the author will be updated to say anonymous instead of bFrahm.  Please confirm if that is the action you would like me to take. 

thanks, Michelle 

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MichelleMathias I misunderstood at first what you meant by switching credentials and now with some background on what is possible, I would like to move forward with the proposed solution you first replied with.

@BrettFrahm should now be my active account using the AGOL account Brett.Frahm@threeriversparks.org_trpd , which is an enterprise account. @Anonymous User can then be deleted and its posts set to anonymous. I realized that I really haven't done much with bFrahm account yet, so I'm okay deleting it and now that I know a geonet account can be switched to a different AGOL account I will know to do that in the future if it is necessary.

Thank you. Let me know if there is anything I need to do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@MichelleMathias could help you in the content migration process. 

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

@Anonymous User  I see you have 6 posts associated with the bFrahm account and 15 posts associated with the other account:  BrettFrahm1.  I cannot actually merge the posts into one account , but I can switch your credentials from bFrahm to the BrettFrahm1 account so the older/more posts are associated with those credentials and then delete the account with 6 posts, which means those posts will remain active and  visible, but the author will be updated to say anonymous instead of bFrahm.  Please confirm if that is the action you would like me to take. 

thanks, Michelle 

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MichelleMathias , thank you for reaching out but I am not interested in the proposed solution. If the only option is to make my old posts as anonymous, then I'd rather just keep them tied to my old account so I can more easily find them and continue to receive notifications.

I feel like in the old Geonet you were allowed to manually switch the owner of a post, but maybe I am mistaken. If it has not already been requested, I would like to request the ability to change the owner of posts. The account you want to switch to could verify this change via a form or another method. This is likely a common issue for people who change jobs and would like to stay connected to the many posts they've made on geonet over the years on another account.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello @Anonymous User , I understand your desire to keep both accounts.

In the old GeoNet we could not re-assign owners of posts and actually had fewer options for accommodating account "merge" transfers. 

How we can accommodate in the new platform is when you switch jobs, roles, etc... before you make new posts, contact us and we can update your existing/old account with the new email/ AGOL ID or credentials of your choosing so you can continue to use that account and retain your history and badges, ranks, posts etc. 

It gets complicated if you start creating new posts with a new account, and then want to make the switch. At this time we do not have the functionality to merge all the posts into one account, it is a recommendation we have made to the platform vendor.   So I apologize this solution will not work for you at this time. 

Cheers, Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MichelleMathias I misunderstood at first what you meant by switching credentials and now with some background on what is possible, I would like to move forward with the proposed solution you first replied with.

@BrettFrahm should now be my active account using the AGOL account Brett.Frahm@threeriversparks.org_trpd , which is an enterprise account. @Anonymous User can then be deleted and its posts set to anonymous. I realized that I really haven't done much with bFrahm account yet, so I'm okay deleting it and now that I know a geonet account can be switched to a different AGOL account I will know to do that in the future if it is necessary.

Thank you. Let me know if there is anything I need to do.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello again @MichelleMathias , just posting again to say that I wanted to follow through with your original plan. Please see my reply on 12-28-2021 and let me know if there is anything else I need to provide. Thank you.

0 Kudos