Geonet: Why the replies on a post are not numbered?

12-10-2020 11:10 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Geonet: Why the replies on a post are not numbered?

I couldn’t figure out why the replies on a post are not numbered. Then how one can refer to a specific reply?

Clip_75.jpg

8 Comments
DanPatterson

Maybe the order?

geonet2.png

MichelleMathias

@JamalNUMAN  not sure what you are asking, we didn't have number replies in our last platform either. But I would agree with Dan above the best way to sort the replies are either oldest to newest or vice versa.  IF you want to reply to a specific comment and reference that comment, you can use the quote feature and it will copy that post into your reply.

KenBuja

I could see the utility of post numbers when needed to refer to more than one response in a longer thread.

As Joe said in Post 57...

But Mary brought up this in Post 120...

I'm not a fan of the quote option as is. It only quotes the direct reply. It doesn't allow quoting text from a different source (i.e. a portion of documentation to highlight) or multi-quotes (i.e. quoting several different replies in a single post).

DanPatterson
As Michelle said....we didn't have number replies in our last platform either

you can manually block quote in the ... HTML source code section.  Not ideal, but it works in a pinch

JamalNUMAN

Sorry for the confusion.

Please, have a look on the screenshot below. Each reply has a number as well as the number of views! That simple!

Clip_88.jpg

MichelleMathias

Hi Jamal, thanks for sharing that example of another community. We can add this to a wish list, but we did not have it in our previous community and it isn't standard in our current community. I can see how it might be helpful,  but  I cannot guarantee when or if we will have this feature.  thank you.

JamalNUMAN

Have you observed that the number of views of each reply is also provided? This is a good feature for enhancement in the Geonet

by Anonymous User