Arcade Label somewhere?

02-04-2021 09:06 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Is there a space where Arcade is a valid label? I notice that a number of ArcGIS Pro posts are directed to Arcade, yet there is no Arcade label.  I just tried in insert Arcade as a label and things turned red as I was scolded for not entering a valid label.  

Can we get an Arcade Label in the ArcGIS Pro space and/or the Data Management space?

Tags (2)
13 Comments
DanPatterson

found one

arcade.png

JoeBorgione

Limiting Arcade to the ArcGIS Online space seems kind of, well, limiting...

XanderBakker

It is always nice to see a conversation between  @JoeBorgione  "can't wait to retire...." and @DanPatterson "... sort of retired...".

There is not a space for just Arcade, since the use of Arcade depends on the profile and the product it is used in. There is the Attribute Rule space, but this is Pro related and just touches on 3 profiles where Arcade is used.

I did notice the Arcade label as indicated by Dan. It is on age 3217 (sorry I lost count scrolling through the pages), so this might not be the most user-friendly option:

XanderBakker_0-1612531630292.png

... and Dan... I know "Python rules", but so does "Arcade" (in its own special way 😊)

Kind regards,

Xander (still a long way to retirement...)

DanPatterson

still a long way to retirement...

😂 

"python rules" vs "python rules"  It all depends on the word emphasis 

JoeBorgione

There is not a space for just Arcade, since the use of Arcade depends on the profile and the product it is used in. There is the Attribute Rule space, but this is Pro related and just touches on 3 profiles where Arcade is used.

Why not have a dedicated Arcade space?  Divide it into however many boards it takes to cover the profiles and product lines it needs to. In the developers community you'll find Python and ArcGIS API for Python and each has a number of boards.  Just sayin'.

It is always nice to see a conversation between  @JoeBorgione  "can't wait to retire...." and @DanPatterson "... sort of retired...".

Just a couple of old dogs who enjoy learning new tricks....  🐺

XanderBakker

Hi @JoeBorgione ,

You have a valid point. Sometimes the questions are generic Arcade questions no matter where it is used and I for sure would love to see a space just for Arcade. Maybe we should include @Anonymous User in the conversation and hear what she has to say on the topic...

JoeBorgione

@XanderBakker ; I'm preaching to the choir when I say this but Arcade is here to stay and will only increase in functionality and user base.  The ESRI forum is the perfect platform with which to provide resources.

DanPatterson

hopefully they don't follow the same .... Avenue .... that they did last time.  If it is just dolled up java-something, they should open source the code then

JoeBorgione

I think with the expansion of web-based GIS use Arcade won't be another Avenue, but there is something to be said for your open source comment.  For me in another 11 months or so Arcade is going to be fading in the rear view mirror, but in the meantime, finding solid resources is essential. 

XanderBakker

Hi @DanPatterson ,

When you started with ArcGIS Pro and noticed that the project file extension was called ".aprx" that should have been quite the shock, right? Maybe even expected to see .ave(x) files?

Python and Arcade both serve different purposes. There might be a bit of overlap, but beautiful things can be done with both. It is time to embrace them both:

XanderBakker_0-1612552103944.png

(although maybe I should have used a different image to symbolize that...)