GeoNet Contest Changes for 2019

03-27-2019 10:45 AM
Labels (1)
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager
1 2 1,465

We are updating the GeoNet Contest for 2019. Our current structure is comprised of a semiannual and an annual contest based on most points earned within that period of time. This method recognizes our most active and contributing members with the highest points for the year. 

For 2019 we are expanding the contest to include and recognize new contributors to the community. We are updating our prize packages and we are aligning our points and badge system with our GeoNet Guiding Principles: Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.

The new contest will be one annual contest with multiple levels. Focusing on contributions throughout the year. The new structure will continue to honor and recognize our MVPs - but at a new level called Elite. In addition, we are expanding the program to include two new levels: Expert level: which recognizes users focused on sharing knowledge by correctly answering questions and Rookie level: which will recognize new users.

Contest Levels:

Elite Level:

• Total overall points for the year – designed for seasoned/existing members who are answering questions and creating new content.

Expert level:

• Most replies marked as correct answers (within the year), designed for most helpful/knowledgeable members

Rookie of the Year level:

• Overall points for new members – designed for members who joined the community in 2019

We are also restructuring the prize packages. We want to reward our contest winners with prizes designed to strengthen Esri knowledge by providing more access to Esri conferences, software licenses, press publications, and developer subscriptions. We are also including the option to transfer conference or software licensing to another member of the winner’s organization.

Prize Packages (will be awarded to the top three for each level):

Elite Prize Package (top 3 Elites awarded)

• Winner’s choice of either Esri UC Conference Registration or Developer Summit Conference Registration**
  • ArcGIS for Personal Use License, or Developer Subscription
  • GeoNet Badge
  • Esri & GeoNet swag box

Expert Prize Package (top 3 Experts)

• Winner's choice of Training Voucher /Certification Exam Voucher
  • Choice of Esri Press Publication
  • GeoNet badge
  • Esri & GeoNet swag box

Rookie Prize Package (top 3 Rookies)

• Choice of Esri Press Publication
  • GeoNet badge
  • Esri & GeoNet swag box

**The winner can send another person from their organization if they cannot attend, or they can donate it to a non-profit organization.

To support these changes the points and badge system will also be updated to better reflect our Guiding Principles and align with the meaningful journey we intend for all GeoNet members. For example, more points will be award for the behaviors we want to see and have repeated. Less points, or less repetition for basic, low value-add actions. In addition, we are updating many of the badge names with more of a resonance in a GIS and Geospatial Community.  Check out our new points structure here: GeoNet Points System - Updated.

In addition to the changes to the contest, we are reworking our overall MVP program, stay tuned for those updates later this year.

Thank you for your participation and contributions to the GeoNet Community!

Tags (1)
2 Comments
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Finally!! it's back!!! the ability to donate your unused prizes to someone else!!

Also great to see the contributions of people at different levels of participation recognized.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looking at GeoNet Points System - Updated 2019 , I take issue with the following statement:

For example, more points will be award for the behaviors we want to see and have repeated. Less points, or less repetition for basic, low value-add actions. In addition, we are updating many of the badge names with more of a resonance in a GIS and Geospatial Community.

Prior to the 2019 changes, getting a comment marked as correct, i.e, giving the correct or most correct response, qualified for the Valedictorian badge for 250 points.  The 2019 changes did away with Valedictorian and replaced it with Expert for 100 points.

Semantics aside, I don't see how getting a comment marked as correct represents "low value-add action."  Is 250 points for getting a correct answer too much?  Maybe.  Is the answer reducing the points by 60%?  No.  For those who are joining GeoNet now, there is a lot less incentive to provide the most thorough and/or best reply when all that work gets 100 points.

About the Author
My role at Esri is the Manager of Community Experience and Programs. As the manager of the community experience team, I support, guide, and help our community managers and am focused on programs to continue growth and enhancement of our community. Outside of work I love the outdoors (in all seasons). You can typically find me skiing, hiking, biking, kayaking, or curled up with a good book.