Terms of Service for screenshots

01-28-2016 11:33 AM
TJLensing
New Contributor

Dear ESRI

I've written the regular customer service about 10 days ago, but haven't heard back.

I work for a small start up. We would like to take screenshots of the available maps/layers here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html and bring them in to photoshop and add things to them resulting in a static image. The maps would be content on a subscription website, behind a paywall. We wanted to check about your terms of service, and were hoping that would be ok. Of course we'd be happy to add the ESRI logo/language, and any other logos, copyright notices required, etc.

Thanks,

TJ

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimmyKroon
Occasional Contributor II

Page 1 of the terms of service - bold emphasis added.

Data Terms and Conditions

Data and imagery from third party providers is available to users of Esri software and online services offered through Esri websites. Please see Use of Data Restrictions/Terms of Use for supplemental licensing information for data and imagery.

0 Kudos
JimmyKroon
Occasional Contributor II

I'll add that while screenshots are probably not legal. You could download the ESRI GIS Explorer (which is free) and use that to export maps. The same basemaps are available through it as through ArcGIS Online.

ArcGIS Explorer | GIS Viewer | Free GIS Software & Maps

0 Kudos
TJLensing
New Contributor

Thanks Jimmy. At a previous job I asked ESRI about this and they said it was fine, there were just some minor restrictions of use. But I wanted to check again to see if it was still ok.

Looking at this link Create a map—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS , and then Step 1, it appears I need an organizational account to use Explorer (since it says there is a free trial, I assume it's paid after that). Trying to avoid paying for the moment.

Perhaps someone from ESRI will chime in here. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

You might want to call up your regional office (if in the US), otherwise the distributor and ask for an account rep. They may be able to connect you to the right person.

Melita

0 Kudos
TJLensing
New Contributor

Good idea. Thanks.

0 Kudos