Simple Route Optimization

10-05-2017 06:16 AM
JeremyWebb
New Contributor

I'm new to ESRI and I'm looking to optimize a route.  We have a list of 350+ stops and I need it ordered by least distance.  We want to feed this information into our in house planning software.   Ideally, I would like to feed an API the list of addresses and have it return the best order.  What would be the best solution to accomplish my goals? 

-Jeremy

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The Network Analyst is normally used for such questions, but it sounds like you don't want to do this within arcmap or ArcGIS pro.

JeremyWebb
New Contributor

You are correct. I really have no need for maps. What I want is simple. I have a list of unorganized addresses. I want to hand the list off to an API of some sort and receive an organized list back. Preferably, in some sort of machine readable format (JSON or XML). 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You'd need to hand off your list to a published service that has a Network Analyst solution for your area of interest.  I think AGOL can do that for you, but I also think there is a fee to do so in credits.  As I recall it's like geocoding: you can geocode one address at a time all day and it's free.  Bulk geocode and you get dinged....

That should just about do it....