Non-Standard Geographies

11-05-2012 10:48 AM
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I am waiting for my access to a Server but I had a quick question.  Reading through the documentation such as this white paper ()http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/importing-and-using-your-own-data.pdf I notice that the standard Census geographies are used (at least in the demos).

Is is possible for me to create my own BDS using non-standard geographies (e.g. watersheds) ?

If so could someone provide a link to more information ?

Thanks !

-Don
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffHincy
Esri Contributor
Don,

Yes, you can create a Business Analyst Dataset (BDS) layer with any polygonal layer using the Custom Data Setup wizard in Business Analyst desktop and this link will provide more information on the wizard.  If the data you wish to build the BDS layer is already in your boundary layer then all you need to do is walk through the Custom Data Setup wizard to build the BDS layer.  You can use your own data or if your boundary layers are empty you can aggregate our data Append Data wizard to your boundary layer and then run it through the Custom Data Setup tool.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Jeff Hincy

Business Analyst Data Product Engineer
0 Kudos
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
Hi Jeff,

Still waiting on my access but as soon as I get it I will try it out !  Thanks !

-Don
0 Kudos