Importing Polygons

Jump to solution
06-22-2012 05:09 AM
SherrieTaylor
New Contributor II
I am trying to import a zipped polygon (just one) to do some analysis.  However, anything I try is giving me errors and it will not import.  My shapefile is not projected as it is an elementary school jurisdiction (not a district).  There is only a .dbf, .shp, and .shx.  Could that be the problem that it is not projected?  Every time I zip the folder with the 3 files in it there's an additional folder that appears inside that I remove, or it gives me an error to check for any additional subfolders.  That I have taken care of but I'm still not able to import.  Here's the error: 
Can't read Shapefile due to server communication errors: Unable to extract shapefiles from zip.  Please make sure there are no subfolders within the zipped file and try again.  The file I'm trying to upload is attached.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
I am having the same problem when attempting to import a polygon. I do have cut out areas within the polygon leaving 3 donuts areas. Is that causing the issue?

I assisted William when he created a support incident.  Ultimately the issue was due to the polygon have a hole in the center which is a known issue when attempting to use a shapefile like this with the legacy BAO.  The new next generation BAO (http://bao.arcgis.com) that was just recently launched could actually handle this type of polygon shapefile.

Regards,
Jason R.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
I am trying to import a zipped polygon (just one) to do some analysis.  However, anything I try is giving me errors and it will not import.  My shapefile is not projected as it is an elementary school jurisdiction (not a district).  There is only a .dbf, .shp, and .shx.  Could that be the problem that it is not projected?  Every time I zip the folder with the 3 files in it there's an additional folder that appears inside that I remove, or it gives me an error to check for any additional subfolders.  That I have taken care of but I'm still not able to import.  Here's the error: 
Can't read Shapefile due to server communication errors: Unable to extract shapefiles from zip.  Please make sure there are no subfolders within the zipped file and try again.  The file I'm trying to upload is attached.
Thanks!

Sherrie,

I will take a look at your shapefile and see if I can diagnose and fix the problem you are having with it.

Regards,

Jason R.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Sherrie,

Looks to be two problems you encountering.  The first is the zip had a folder in folder situation but that it is easy to resolve.  The 2nd issue is more problematic as your Neighborhood1 shapefile is missing the .prj (projection) component.  If you could track down the specific projection from the source of this shapefile I could apply it to your shapefile.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
WilliamWakan
New Contributor
I am having the same problem when attempting to import a polygon. I do have cut out areas within the polygon leaving 3 donuts areas. Is that causing the issue?
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor

I assisted William when he created a support incident.  Ultimately the issue was due to the polygon have a hole in the center which is a known issue when attempting to use a shapefile like this with the legacy BAO.  The new next generation BAO (http://bao.arcgis.com) that was just recently launched could actually handle this type of polygon shapefile.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos