How to determine the Feature Type loaded to the Repository

04-12-2011 05:56 PM
PrashanthSukumaran
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am using the UploadFeatureSetTask to upload features(Rings, DriveTime, Donuts or Polygon) into the Repository.  When retrieving the items using GetListProjectItemsTask it does not tell me if the feature is a Ring or a Drivetime or a Donut or a Custom Drawn Polygon. 

What API is available to get this information about type of the tradeArea?  The reason i would like to know this is a user would have drawn a Ring and a Donut for the same location.  How do i show visually to the user the type of the feature?

Is it possible to associate any metadata when i am creating a FolderItem of type tradeArea?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MehakSujan
New Contributor
Once you have uploaded a feature class to the repository and open the feature class from the repository, you can determine the type of feature it is using with any of the ArcGIS Server APIs. For example, in the Flex API, you can check the type property in the Geometry class to figure out whether the feature geometry type is a point, polygon, extent, etc. However, there isn�??t a way currently to specify metadata for a FolderItem to specifically find out whether a trade area is of type drive time, simple ring, or a custom polygon. Maybe you could use a specific nomenclature for the repository item name to determine the type of trade area or add any metadata as part of the feature's attributes.
0 Kudos
PrashanthSukumaran
New Contributor II
Mehak,

I can definitely add metadata as attributes to the featureClass.  The reason i am asking this is, i would like to provide a Sites functionality similar to the BAO.  You will see Sites Bar under the Reports tab.  It shows very clearly the type of the Trade Area, address etc. 

For me to do something like that i will have to open each an every Site using the OpenFeatureLayer and then find the type of the trade area.  This is time consuming and unnecessary.  I understand that it is also possible for the user to upload different types of features/trade areas into a Folder type TradeArea not just one single type after all this is a Map Layer that is created in the repository.

Still allowing the developer to append metadata/tagging to the FolderItem makes a lot of sense and saves a lot of time and compute power.  Also, you know very well, that the whole web is getting tagged since whenever to make sense of what the content is instead of probing/figuring it out.  So why not here.

I hope you will consider this as a feature enhancement request in the near feature.
0 Kudos
PrashanthSukumaran
New Contributor II
Similar to Set Project Properties Endpoint, if the FolderItem had it and if we could retrieve it.  That would be awesome.
0 Kudos