Working with Builder while hosting StoryMaps template - where are changes stored?

Jump to solution
08-23-2015 12:13 PM
AWuenschel
New Contributor II

I downloaded a StoryMaps Application that I had already built using the Story Maps Builder through ArcGIS Online, partly so I could add more accordion tabs than the maximum limit of 30. I passed the AppID to the index.html and then am temporarily hosting it on a Dropbox account. I ultimately want to host it on a government web server, but the application will need to be approved by a few parties before that can happen. I would like to continue to use Builder (by adding the URL parameter 'edit' to the Dropbox address), however I'm not really sure how this works. Where are the additional accordion tabs (linked to web maps) stored? I added a few example accordion tabs and I don't see them listed on the ArcGIS online account or anywhere where the template files are hosted (I know very little about websites and webhosting). I want to make sure that any additional maps I add to the template will not be lost once I migrate the files to their final resting place on a government server.

Thank you,

Ami

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using the builder with the “edit” url parameter, all content configuration is stored in a JSON data file on ArcGIS Online that is stored along side the application item page. Even if you use the builder from a version of the app you host and modify, it still references the item page and JSON config that is stored within “My Content” of ArcGIS online. When you move the app to your own organization’s server you will not lose your edits to the app.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using the builder with the “edit” url parameter, all content configuration is stored in a JSON data file on ArcGIS Online that is stored along side the application item page. Even if you use the builder from a version of the app you host and modify, it still references the item page and JSON config that is stored within “My Content” of ArcGIS online. When you move the app to your own organization’s server you will not lose your edits to the app.