What is the output format of story maps? Can they only be viewed from within ESRI or can I email a link to my story map to people who might be interested?

Jump to solution
03-26-2016 07:04 PM
JohnMarchi
New Contributor

I want my story map to be able to be viewed by someone without having to go to an ESRI site.  I'd like to send my story map to specific people to view.  I guess I'm asking, if it is created within ESRI, how is it stored, i.e., what is the final format of the output?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Yes, story maps are web apps. Just like any other dataset, map, or app in the ArcGIS platform, once you share it publicly it can be accessed by anyone. So you can email the link, post the link on social media, add the link to a blog post or web page, etc.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Which app is it for? How to Make a Story Map | Story Maps

then there is the blog Story Maps | ArcGIS Blog

and do you intend to host this somewhere?

This blog may be of use Choosing the right Story Map | ArcGIS Blog

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Dan has some great resources that should help answer a lot of your questions. A story map is a web mapping application that is essentially a web site. So, if your map is public, then you can email the link of the map to anyone and they can view it (otherwise, you can share it just with a group in your organization and they can view it the same way, with a web address).

(see this link for examples on sharing Share maps, scenes, and apps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS )

For example, this is a map I found on Esri's site that is shared publicly. It is a link that I can give to others so that they can view the story map:

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=137a8e9e12074f73979f9407d09b5133

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Yes, story maps are web apps. Just like any other dataset, map, or app in the ArcGIS platform, once you share it publicly it can be accessed by anyone. So you can email the link, post the link on social media, add the link to a blog post or web page, etc.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

...interesting...

0 Kudos