Web applications in story map?

Jump to solution
06-01-2017 08:11 AM
NicoleYKim
New Contributor

I'd like to allow people who view my story map to use queries and other features that are widgets in web applications, but can't seem to find a way to add a web applications to my story maps instead of web maps. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Nicole -- our narrative-style apps (Journal, Series, Cascade) all support adding web apps. In Journal and Series choose the option to add a "Web Page" and in Cascade the option is there when you add media and go to Link to Content. See screenshots below.

However, I'd urge you to exercise caution when doing this. Story maps typically work best when they are simple to use, and often when authors add a web application to a story it can be confusing or not work well for the audience. If you are creating a story for a technical audience it may work ok, but otherwise we would often recommend simply including a hyperlink in the story that opens the app in a new browser tab. This way interested readers can access the app, but the experience of using the story map itself is kept simple for all readers.

I noticed you mentioned you are using the Series app, which is one of the apps in which embedded web applications can work well.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Which app are you using: Apps | Story Maps?

0 Kudos
NicoleYKim
New Contributor

I'm using the Story Map Series - Tabbed layout, I'm trying to display 4 different maps of the US each with different grant information.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Nicole -- our narrative-style apps (Journal, Series, Cascade) all support adding web apps. In Journal and Series choose the option to add a "Web Page" and in Cascade the option is there when you add media and go to Link to Content. See screenshots below.

However, I'd urge you to exercise caution when doing this. Story maps typically work best when they are simple to use, and often when authors add a web application to a story it can be confusing or not work well for the audience. If you are creating a story for a technical audience it may work ok, but otherwise we would often recommend simply including a hyperlink in the story that opens the app in a new browser tab. This way interested readers can access the app, but the experience of using the story map itself is kept simple for all readers.

I noticed you mentioned you are using the Series app, which is one of the apps in which embedded web applications can work well.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
MaureenPeniuk1
New Contributor II

Thanks. I am wanting to do something similar - I want a tabbed storymap - and then have a web app with widgets at each TAB. This way I can combine web apps for 4 sites in one place, so staff only have to save 1 link for all 4 sites.

0 Kudos