Using different zoom levels in Story Map Tour

05-30-2017 03:49 PM
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I have built a storymap for my recent travels in northern Europe. I'd like to use a different zoom level for each of the 'stops' on the trip? Is this possible. Some of the stops look good at level 10 zoom, and for others that is too close and for others too far out.

Here's the map: http://arcg.is/2sbFG27  with the zoom at 13. I realize people could zoom in and out on there own, but I'd like to zoom it where I think it looks best initially.

In the index.html there is this line:

// Optional zoom level to be applied for the story points following introduction (can be overridden through URL) (e.g: 0 to 16 for Gray Canvas, 0 to 19 for Street Map, -1 to disable)
zoomLevel: 13

Does anybody know how to that with the URL?  I know I can specify Index to return to a certain point on the map: http://www.lesstraveled.com/2017_Baltic/Map/index.html?index=2 to return the seconf tour point.  I've tried experimenting with it, but I don't think I have the syntax correct.

Thanks.

edited to correct URL for storymap instead of the arcgis online map.

7 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If you're up for it, you could code this custom behaviour in the source code and deploy your own web app, but I don't believe you can customize the stock tour story map this way.

Alternatively, you can use a different story map template (e.g. Journal), which does support section-dependent zoom levels.

CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I use the downloaded template and host the map from my server.  I'll take a closer look at the documentation, but I don't know if my coding skills are up for that. I'll look into the Journal option as well.  Thanks for the link.

0 Kudos
TRDSYSTEMS
New Contributor II

Greetings,

This is quite a lovely tour. Were you able to get a solution for adjusting zoom level to each tour functionality? Also, how were you able to add the photo gallery to your tours?

0 Kudos
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I built the galleries in Adobe Lightroom, and put them on my server. Then I just put the html link in the story map spreadsheet/csv that gets loaded to Arcgis.

~Celeste

0 Kudos
TRDSYSTEMS
New Contributor II

That’s Genius! I explored that option and worked nicely... looks like you

used the classic gallery template and modified accordingly... I

particularly liked how you provided the web link that links back to the map

tour. Any progress on the zoom issue?

0 Kudos
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! No progress on the zoom issue. I basically experiment and try to find the one zoom level that works best for whatever story I’m telling and just roll with it.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Celeste -- As Darren mentioned you'd currently need to do that as a customization as we don't currently support individual zoom levels in builder. We're working on a new version of Map Tour and have that feature on our list to implement in the new app.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps