Uploading CSV point files does not create tabs

12-17-2014 11:12 AM
AmyYang
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am working on a Shortlist story map. When I upload multiple CSV point files for the tabs, the tabs do not appear. All the tutorials and forums I have read thus far don't cover how CSV files turn into tabs, so I am assuming this is an automatic feature in the template? The CSV point files show up as a list of layers I can toggle on and off, much like we would see in ArcMap. Am I missing a basic step in transforming the layers into tabs?

Please let me know if I should clarify my question!

Thank you so much.

Amy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Amy,

it should be done automatically, does your csv file have the required field headings as per the guide here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Esri/shortlist-storytelling-template-js/master/Readme.pdf

Regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
AmyYang
New Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Thank you so much for your response, and my apologies for taking so long to reply.

I re-organized my CSV field headings to match exactly as the guide indicates, however it still does not seem to be working...

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Amy,

Is it possible to share your CSV either attach here or email to me if you dont want it public and I will take a look. You can get my email address by clicking on my avatar,

Regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Amy,

I have looked at your two csv files and got them working here:

Shortlist  (you may need to use IE as its hosted in dropbox on a Https URL which firefox doesn't seem to like, if you get a warning about only show secure contect select show all)

The only thing i had to chane was your column named 'Name' to 'Title'

Regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Anthony. Here is your test web map displayed in our generic hosted Shortlist review/test instance:

http://storymaps.esri.com/templates/shortlist/?webmap=ab64412bf8944137b7bed1c432f06168&GEOLOCATOR=tr...

AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Rupert,

Thats good to know you can test like that

Thank you

Anthony

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Here's a URL containing all of the supported parameters that you can use when you invoke the hosted Shortlist instance.

http://storymaps.esri.com/templates/shortlist/?webmap=8504932f183c4b8699dc6ba28235e398&DETAILS_PANEL...

You could actually deploy a Shortlist using this instance without downloading the code yourself, but it doesn't support changing the logo or any other customizations, so it isn't recommended for actual deployments.

0 Kudos
AmyYang
New Contributor

Dear Rupert,

Thank you for your helpful responses. When I plug in my webmap id into the URL you have provided, the tabs show up as they are supposed to. However, I think I am missing a key step in turning the map I have created into the Shortlist format. I was wondering if you could think of anything I may have missed?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
AmyYang
New Contributor

Dear Anthony and Rupert,

Thanks again for your responses. I have figured out the problem. I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how web servers work, which was why I thought I kept having problems. But all is well now!

Thanks again,

Amy

0 Kudos