Tabbed Story Map with apps

Jump to solution
02-11-2016 10:08 AM
KoryIman1
New Contributor II

I have created a few story maps and I am familiar with adding story maps inside of story maps, but what I am trying to do is use the process of having the same maps across all the tabs, but with an app. The Tabbed Story map will have each tab having different layers displayed (Pavement projects, capacity, Safety etc) simple enough with referencing a map. At the same time, I would like the functionality of the widgets to allow the user change the base map and which layers are displayed. I don't want to create a unique app for each tab.  Is there a way to filter the display of the app for each tab, so you are only using one app for all the tabs? Also, there is a layer list widget, but can you choose which layers are displayed as an option for the user to turn on and off (i.e layers 1-6, but layers 1, 3, and 4 are for functionality and will never be turned off and just clutter the list. Thus the widget would preferably only show layers 1, 2, 5 and 6).

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Developers and tweakers can definitely download any of the Story Map templates and freely modify the code.

For example, see this highly customized example tabbed map series with checkable layers, etc:

Explore Atlas | Vital Signs

Another approach would be to make a story map and embed a different app inside that story map that provides the specific functionality you want to present. For example if you to include a map with checkable layers in your story, you could choose one of the other configurable apps that is built into ArcGIS, then embed that app into your story map.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hey Kory-  not sure why you chose the 911 group for this. You'll probably get a better audience elsewhere like Web GIS or something like that....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kory

The Story Map apps are really designed to create UIs where the end users aren't provided with that level of control. So we don't expose checkable layer lists because for this sort of UI it is easier if the author creates great looking maps with the best selection of layers for the story being told.

As an author creating a Story Map Series, you can use one or more maps in your story for each entry (tab, bullet, etc) in your series, and you can choose which layers you want to display. So for example you could have different layers turn on and off automatically as people switch between the different entries in your series.

Another option to check out is the Main Stage Actions in the Story Map Journal, This lets you author links or buttons in your narrative that, when your end users press them, perform actions on the map like turning specific layers on or off, zooming to particular extents, panning to a feature and displaying its popup, etc. So that is another way you can allow your end users to interact with your maps: Using Story Map Journal Main Stage Actions | ArcGIS Blog

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Rupert, could something like this be custom programmed by getting into the Javascript behind this application? Or is that not really a good solution.

I know that would not be the approach that Kory wants to go due to who is 'allowed' to do this kind of programming, but it may still be a solution.

Hi Kory! 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Developers and tweakers can definitely download any of the Story Map templates and freely modify the code.

For example, see this highly customized example tabbed map series with checkable layers, etc:

Explore Atlas | Vital Signs

Another approach would be to make a story map and embed a different app inside that story map that provides the specific functionality you want to present. For example if you to include a map with checkable layers in your story, you could choose one of the other configurable apps that is built into ArcGIS, then embed that app into your story map.

BreanneSimon1
New Contributor

This was very helpful in showing an example, I wonder if there is a way to download this source code on the customized tabs from the ESRI site or github? I would like to give it a try on the free ArcGIS for Developers.

0 Kudos