Story Maps and linking with other Database info

03-14-2018 05:06 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a Shortlist Story Map that has locations I would like to link with a department database to show the info from the databases. For example a lake I have included in the shortlist is also included in a lake stocking database within the department that populates a pop-up box in a Google Map app. It is requested to show the stocking information for the Story Map location and right now I'm wondering if this is possible to do thru the url option within in the text box?

If not is there a way to create a feature service thru ArcGIS Server that would be dynamic with the database and add this as a service in the webmap that feeds the Story Map?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Kathy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

HI Kathy

If you can add that data into a web map as a layer, then you can include it in a Shortlist. For example if you can publish that data as a feature service, either via ArcGIS Online or via ArcGIS Enterprise server, you can add it into the web map used in a Shortlist as a layer people can click on. In addition, if your data contains the fields expected by the Shortlist, you can define a Shortlist's places (the places shown in the tabs and as markers on the map) from that service. So for example, you could drive a Shortlist from the latest data in a database. For more info see this FAQ:

Can I use existing point data as places in a Shortlist?

> Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps 

Rupert

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out how to populate my web map/shortlist story map with dynamic data. I have these questions to start with.

1) Can data driven text be added to the Shortlist Story Map? I see the blog post about adding Data Driven Text with the Map Journal example but was wondering if the methods apply to the other templates?

2) Are there map services that be published to our GIS Server from a SQL database so the data can be dynamic? If so what type of services are these and do you need to publish with special settings to the service or on the SQL database administration? I'm thinking in ArcMap you can have a query layer that is dynamic with the database connection but are there web services that are similar?

3) Do you know if with ArcGIS API for python if there are scripts for checking url links within story maps to show all the urls and if some are broken? I'm trying to figure out maintenance and automating some of these tasks for the Story Maps especially since they are url heavy.

Thanks in advance!!!

Kathy

0 Kudos