Story maps and keeping pictures in it

Jump to solution
03-01-2016 06:53 AM
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III

I can't seem to keep the pictures in my story map.  I change the url for the image, and in the builder mode its there.  But when I check it from a different browser all the pictures show up as unavailable.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

OK, I just did the same. What option did you chose when you entered the builder and what did you do after that?

2016-03-01 at 11.40.31 AM.JPG

If you want to upload photos to create a tour the best way to do that is to choose "I need to upload my images." If you do that then when you Add new points you'll be able to drag your photos right into the builder to add them to your tour.

2016-03-01 at 11.42.08 AM.JPG

I think maybe you are trying to add photos to an existing layer in your map, which isn't supported at this time.

Let me know if you are able to get things to work using this workflow.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sometimes you need to make sure that your picture url has the extension at the end of it (like .jpg or .png). If that is not there, then it will likely not show up in a different browser. Also, can you view your changed URL in the different browser? That might be the first place to test to see if that works. If not, then you will need to find where the issue is occurring.

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III

I stored my picture in my ArcGIS Online account, so the weblink it has there is:http://iplan.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/335b48d0a6fc4ec8ae052da1ca991b22/data

for one example.  I read that I could store my pictures there to be used in the story maps.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yes, according to this

Using photos stored in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

You can. It just seems that I have found ArcGIS Online has been picky about whether or not my image has an extension on it (at least in the past, it has behaved this way), particularly when it is shared from a place like Google Drive.

I can view the link you sent. It looks like it is a secured image service. Maybe you could try removing the s off of the https?

http://ago-item-storage.s3.amazonaws.com/335b48d0a6fc4ec8ae052da1ca991b22/Atomsforpeace.JPG?x-amz-se...

I really am not sure at this point...

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Nicole,

Using images stored in ArcGIS Online in a story should work; just make sure that you are using the URL in the form shown above. If you click that link and then copy the URL from the browser address bar you will get a different link with a token in it, which will not work consistently. This is what you need to paste in for the image to work:

http://iplan.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/335b48d0a6fc4ec8ae052da1ca991b22/data

Also, make sure your images are still shared publicly. If they are not they will not appear when you are not signed in to your account.

Please let me know if you are using a URL in this exact form, the images are still shared, and are still experiencing issues. If so it would help me troubleshoot if you could make your story public and share the URL (here or via private message to me).

Owen

Owen Evans
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III

Owen- That's the link that I've pasted into my story map (I just copied and pasted directly from the image URL.  The images are shared publicly.  But they still won't show in the story map after I've saved it, and gotten out completely (signed in or not).  My story map is public - because when I thought it was working I shared it publicly.  http://iplan.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=450409cf48894f459b822a3b8cd91306

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III

And the url is still saved in the story map.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Nicole,

Sorry you are having this issue. I just made a map tour with the image you provided and it works for me in different browsers. I also noticed that your logo image in the header is stored in ArcGIS Online and that seems to work fine.

When I inspect your app configuration it looks like the image URLs for the tour points are not correct, but I can't tell how they got that way. Could you let me know how you created this map tour? Did you start with an existing web map or a CSV?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III

I started with an existing web map.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

OK, I just did the same. What option did you chose when you entered the builder and what did you do after that?

2016-03-01 at 11.40.31 AM.JPG

If you want to upload photos to create a tour the best way to do that is to choose "I need to upload my images." If you do that then when you Add new points you'll be able to drag your photos right into the builder to add them to your tour.

2016-03-01 at 11.42.08 AM.JPG

I think maybe you are trying to add photos to an existing layer in your map, which isn't supported at this time.

Let me know if you are able to get things to work using this workflow.

Owen

Owen Evans