Story Map - merge multiple story maps into 1 story map?

Jump to solution
04-15-2015 01:22 PM
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Hello-

This may sound like a crazy question, but, I am wondering if it is possible to merge 3 separate story maps into 1 story map? I teach a study abroad course and the students will be working in small groups to build a story map about their experiences in country.  I would like each group to contribute equally to a collective story map, but, I am trying to figure out a way for each group to efficiently work on the project content at the same time, and then later merge content with the other groups, at the end of our trip.

For ease with this novice group of mappers, I was planning for them to build a story map through the online template builder, not the downloadable app to configure.

Can anyone advise me on possible solutions?

Thanks much-

Kate

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

(I edited this response since I realized the process is even easier than what I originally posted.)

It's not a crazy question at all! In fact, this is a great technique to use, especially when building a map journal or series.

You can embed a story map (or any ArcGIS Online template app) in another story map. When you are adding a section or tab to your story map, choose  "Web page" as your content type, then just paste in the URL of your other story map in the Webpage URL box.

Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 8.28.20 AM.JPG

The click Configure and choose "Stretch" so your story map will fill the entire main stage.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 4.49.45 PM.JPG

Here's a tip that you may want to use when embedding a story map: if you add "?&embed" to the end of your app URL (or just "&embed" if there is already a ? and other parameters in the URL) this will strip off the title and social media sharing icons from the embedded app. Since your main app already has these you probably don't need to duplicate them in one of your journal sections or series tabs. This tip works with most of the story map apps like swipe/spyglass, map tour, basic, etc. For example, click these two links to see the difference between standard and embedded mode in this Swipe story map.

http://story.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StorytellingSwipe/index.html?appid=97ae55e015774b7ea89fd0a52ca551c...

http://story.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StorytellingSwipe/index.html?appid=97ae55e015774b7ea89fd0a52ca551c...

To see an example of a story map within a story map check out this Map Series where you'll see a Map Journal in the "Point-of-Sale strategies" tab.

Hope this helps!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

(I edited this response since I realized the process is even easier than what I originally posted.)

It's not a crazy question at all! In fact, this is a great technique to use, especially when building a map journal or series.

You can embed a story map (or any ArcGIS Online template app) in another story map. When you are adding a section or tab to your story map, choose  "Web page" as your content type, then just paste in the URL of your other story map in the Webpage URL box.

Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 8.28.20 AM.JPG

The click Configure and choose "Stretch" so your story map will fill the entire main stage.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 4.49.45 PM.JPG

Here's a tip that you may want to use when embedding a story map: if you add "?&embed" to the end of your app URL (or just "&embed" if there is already a ? and other parameters in the URL) this will strip off the title and social media sharing icons from the embedded app. Since your main app already has these you probably don't need to duplicate them in one of your journal sections or series tabs. This tip works with most of the story map apps like swipe/spyglass, map tour, basic, etc. For example, click these two links to see the difference between standard and embedded mode in this Swipe story map.

To see an example of a story map within a story map check out this Map Series where you'll see a Map Journal in the "Point-of-Sale strategies" tab.

Hope this helps!

Owen

Owen Evans
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Owen-

Thank you so much, I am so happy to see there is a way to make this work, and, it gives me more ideas on how we can build really interesting and dynamic content together as a class!  I will give this a try.

Best-

Kate

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

There was also a great blog post about this posted just this week: Embedding a Story Map within a Story Map​.

Owen Evans