Story Map Cascade ESRI - some images are not working. Can someone please fix this? This is very interesting and I would like to share it. Please let me know.

Jump to solution
08-14-2017 05:49 AM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

Story Map Cascade ESRI - some images/maps are not working to show. Here is the link. Can someone please fix this? This is very interesting and I would like to share it. Please let me know. https://nation.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=9497dbc933bc46efacc5236722cebde6 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alexis. I noticed that in that particular story, one of the images that doesn't load for you is on imgur so perhaps that site is blocked where you are browsing from currently. For example try and open that image in a separate web browser.
http://i.imgur.com/3VSFcgL.jpg  outside of the story map. It may be blocked there. 

Thanks for raising this issue. We'll contact the author of this story map and recommend that they upload those images into the story instead of referencing them via a URL. That will avoid any similar issues and also optimize the image too.

Rupert

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Alexa,

Which images are not showing up for you? I just glanced through the whole story map and did not see any issues. I am using Chrome and I am in the United States, so maybe that makes a difference?

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

When I scrolling down after the main title, a few stated "this content is not accessible" in the beginning.  But at the end of scroll, maps/ images are working fine. 

I used chrome, firefox, and IE. All up to date. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Alexis -- I just tried this story and it seems to be working as expected for me. Are you still experiencing an issue?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

I am still having an issue. Please advise. 

It is working show images/maps only after "Intactness Area" part. 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alexis. I noticed that in that particular story, one of the images that doesn't load for you is on imgur so perhaps that site is blocked where you are browsing from currently. For example try and open that image in a separate web browser.
http://i.imgur.com/3VSFcgL.jpg  outside of the story map. It may be blocked there. 

Thanks for raising this issue. We'll contact the author of this story map and recommend that they upload those images into the story instead of referencing them via a URL. That will avoid any similar issues and also optimize the image too.

Rupert

AlexP_
by

Yes, I checked imgur website and it is blocked. Please try to make this public access to private and public sectors especially government places. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alexis,

Imgur is a separate service from what Esri uses. Governments will always block sites like these. The only way around it is to have the map developer use a different site (like upload directly to ArcGIS Online) or have your network people allow certain sites (which likely won't happen).

Out of curiosity, which government are you with (state, local, fed, etc.)? Can you view pictures from sites like Flickr.com Google Photos and other photo hosting sites? This info would be good to know for people who make story maps and share them with governments.

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

Local Government. -Use flickr.com on website. I checked on google photos website. These both websites don't blocked. I recent checked with picasa and it is moving to Google photos. (see screenshot)  I noticed some story map builders are still provide picasa. (see another screenshot). Is there any way to share some of your ESRI samples that is not blocked to government? 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

So it looks like all of the 'recommended' sites from Esri work for you? I wonder why the story map developers chose to go a different route. Maybe someone (like ressinger-esristaff‌) should get in touch with these developers and inform them about best practices for Esri Story Maps...