Story Map - Any way to only view polygons in which a selected feature is located?

05-29-2014 05:37 AM
GregoryDomico
New Contributor
I am attempting to create a story map for a local municipality.  This municipality has 4 wards each represented by an elected official and a mayor who oversees the entire municipality.  I have created a story map by importing shape files of each ward as well as the entire city limits.  Is it possible to have only the ward be visible in the map when that ward's representative is selected in the storyboard?  For instance, if I selected Ward 1 representative's photo, is it possible to have the map zoom to ward 1 and only show the boundaries for ward 1?  I would like to be able to do this for all of the individual wards.  As for the mayor, I would like to be able to have the entire city limits be shown when selecting the mayor's photo. Is any of this possible?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanielWołowik
New Contributor II
Hi,

I doubt if it is possible. Default functionality is adding bright blue outline to particular polygon when it is selected. You would have to redefine that select action and after clicking one layer the visibility of other layers is turned off - it looks like a lot of programming for me.

Alternative solution can be using side-accordion template. You create 5 webmaps, one for the full extend view and separate webmap for each ward. There is an example of that solution: http://agol.esri.fi/storymaps/wine/wine.html
You can also put the photo into the content as you can see.

Daniel
0 Kudos