Replacing a CSV file in Story Map Map Tour?

01-26-2019 08:09 AM
laurennash
New Contributor

On the Map Tour story app, I imported a CSV file. Worked great! However, I want to put a DIFFERENT one up there. There seems to be no way to delete that without deleting each individual picture. If I try to import a different CSV, it says "CSV file empty" which they aren't. Help?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, the Story Map Tour Builder does not have the ability to replace the CSV used to create the tour points. Instead, you should just add or edit tour points from within the builder itself.

deleted-user-zpcJw1u0IXiO
Occasional Contributor

I found this question in my effort to build a Story Map that updates automatically. From this response I understand my options are limited to finding a way to automate adding tour points one-by-one.

A feed of real estate listings comes in nightly that needs to go into a Story Map. Is there a way to automate creating tour points? If so, how? Or a way to automate deleting a Story Map to automatically recreate it using a CSV (created from code)? If so, how? I hesitate on this latter one, though, because the Story Map ID would change each night, and since this Story Map is linked from another Story Map, that one would need to be updated, too, to link to the new Story Map. 

My sense is a Story Map is not a viable solution for the purpose I describe. Can someone prove me wrong?

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Justin,

You could use an external (web) hosted csv, or a feature service, to drive your Map Tour.  You could update these sources as needed, and when the Map Tour is loaded, any changes would be reflected in the places that are loaded.  For the external csv option, in the ArcGIS Online map viewer, choose the 'Add' button, then 'Add layer from web', then choose csv to point to your hosted csv.

Mark

Occasional Contributor

thank you Mark! I will give this a go tomorrow and will report back. cheers

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark, yesterday I ran out of time to try this, but today I was on it. What I've run up against is in Story Configuration, specifically the message: 

Editing data is disabled on this CSV data source

I had added the CSV specifically following your instruction for external csv option. But at the start of your reply you call it "hosted csv". I don't believe what I have put into the map is "hosted" per se and so expect that may be the reason for the disabled editing problem. Am I right? How can I make it be hosted while it is still residing on the remote server?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It very much looks like I am right about the remote CSV being the problem, and that for it to be hosted, it must be uploaded to ArcGIS Online. I need for the CSV to be created new every 24 hours, so that's the trouble with it needing to be hosted. Can I automate updating the CSV? How?

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Justin,

I actually meant for the hosted CSV to be hosted externally to ArcGIS online wherever is convenient for your set up.  You can point the web map to this CSV and the map tour will update its content each time it is loaded based on the content of your CSV.

Mark

Occasional Contributor

That makes sense. Thank you Mark for clarifying this for me.

0 Kudos