Picture Url's in Map Tours are cut short

02-08-2019 05:54 PM
HeatherSavage
New Contributor III

I'm working on a story map for field planning and ran into a couple of issues. 

1. I'd like to present this to my field team, and it'd be great if it were more interactive so that I could click on other objects in the maps (e.g. past field inspection data points) and have the feature information pop-up, as in typical webapp maps.  I decided I may have to use Webapp Builder for that, which is fine, however
  2. I would also like to have the photos show up as well - this was my primary reason for using a StoryMap.  So I tried to get the photos that were uploaded into the storymap to show up in the web map pop-ups by editing the pop-up properties.  However, I then realized that the string field (pic_url) of the map tour layer is too short to contain the full picture urls, and ends up presenting a broken image instead.  This seems like a defect.  How do I get ESRI to lengthen their map tour pic_url fields so that they can contain full length urls (the easy solution)?

and if that's not possible, could esri consider enabling info capabilities in storymaps (the potentially more difficult solution)?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Heather,

I was looking into this workflow today and the reason the images appear broken in the popup is because the pic_URL field does not have the required token needed to display the image. This might happen if your feature service is not shared publicly.

We create these fields in the Map Tour template and generate the token (if private or shared to the org) within our application in order for the images to appear the way we want to. Exposing the short-lived token in the field would be a security risk and also wouldn't dynamically update after a given amount of time. 

Two solutions to this problem could be: 
1.) Hosting the images in your web server and then using our CSV template for Map Tour to reference the URLs to these images in the pic_URL field of the CSV will retain them when it gets converted into a feature service.

OR

2.) Sharing the feature layer you currently have publicly. 

I'd request that you upvote the following idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/9669 since this workflow would be a lot simpler to just view the attachment as an image in the popup. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos