Photos in Map Story are upside down.

Jump to solution
05-15-2017 05:54 AM
KevinBurkman1
New Contributor II

Good morning. I am attempting my first foray into a Map Story project. Using the Map Story Shortlist template, I attempted to load photos into my first tab, which represents hiking sites. Unfortunately, the photos were upside down. I went into my photo editor to verify the photos were oriented correctly, and they were. I then tried to "trick" the process by inverting the photos in the photo editor, but with no success- the photos were still upside down when I loaded them into the Story Map tab.

This is really frustrating- does anyone know why this is happening, or what can be down to correct it?

Thanks!

Kevin B.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin, looking into this further, I think you may be running into an issue because you are using window 8.1 and the windows photo viewer to manually change the photo orientation.

There are two main ways to rotate a photo:

1. Change the orientation meta tag in the photo exif data.
  2. Rotate the actual photo (pixels) and save it.

Almost all cameras and smartphones change the orientation by setting the orientation meta data in the exif. This is the go to standard and what web browsers read to display the photo correctly.

Unfortunately, older versions of windows do not read the exif orientation data and the default windows image viewer rotates images using process 2 above. See this support article from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2001954/picture-orientation-set-by-a-camera-is-not-honored-...

When you rotated the photo in Windows, you rotated the pixels but the exif data tells the browser to rotate it again so you get a double rotation. To fix this, try rotating the photo in windows back to the original orientation. Alternatively, you could try using a different photo editor to rotate your photos.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you attach one of your photos so we can test it?

0 Kudos
KevinBurkman1
New Contributor II

Stephen,

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I have attached a photo.

Kevin Burkman

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kevin,

The photo you provided loaded as expected for me.  What browser, and Operating System are you using?

Mark

0 Kudos
KevinBurkman1
New Contributor II

Operating system is Windows 8.1

Browser is Google Chrome

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin, I just tested your photo as well and it uploaded with the correct orientation. Are you still having an issue getting the correct orientation? Could you also try clearing your browser cache?

0 Kudos
KevinBurkman1
New Contributor II

I just cleared my cache and loaded some photos- they continue to come in

upside down. I have attached a screen shot.

Kevin

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin, looking into this further, I think you may be running into an issue because you are using window 8.1 and the windows photo viewer to manually change the photo orientation.

There are two main ways to rotate a photo:

1. Change the orientation meta tag in the photo exif data.
  2. Rotate the actual photo (pixels) and save it.

Almost all cameras and smartphones change the orientation by setting the orientation meta data in the exif. This is the go to standard and what web browsers read to display the photo correctly.

Unfortunately, older versions of windows do not read the exif orientation data and the default windows image viewer rotates images using process 2 above. See this support article from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2001954/picture-orientation-set-by-a-camera-is-not-honored-...

When you rotated the photo in Windows, you rotated the pixels but the exif data tells the browser to rotate it again so you get a double rotation. To fix this, try rotating the photo in windows back to the original orientation. Alternatively, you could try using a different photo editor to rotate your photos.

KevinBurkman1
New Contributor II

Wow, that's an unusual workflow, but it works like a charm- thanks so much

for your help!

Kevin

0 Kudos
ElizabethMoore2
New Contributor II

Hello,

If your image is flipping sideways it could be due to height. The easiest solution is to crop it more to a square that fits in the Shortlist thumbnails.

Hope this helps somebody,

Elizabeth

0 Kudos