Map Tour Side Panel layout is buggy?

05-15-2020 08:23 AM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I really like the new side panel map tour and I'm so disappointed to find out how buggy it is!

After I created my initial map tour using the new side panel format, I am having all sorts of issues going back and making what should be minor edits. I did not have a file to upload, or content in Flickr, so I uploaded the photos one at a time and keyed in the title and caption.  It was fine the first time around.  However, as I've had to go back and make changes, those changes do not stick!  Both the name and the caption may migrate to an adjacent photo.  One case it randomly copied it to two others!  Each minor change is causing me to have to copy and paste all the content for most of my photos and they all shift around!  This was supposed to be easy, and I've spent hours fixing work I've already done more than once.

I am using HTML format for my descriptions if that makes any difference.  I am very frustrated.  I have done the same story map many times now.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Tracy -- I'm very sorry you're running into issues editing your classic Map Tour. I'm not able to reproduce that issue, but it is possible that the HTML you are using is causing it. Are you following the guidelines in the supported HTML documents referenced in this article?

The classic Map Tour is an older application. I'd very much recommend that you check out our latest and greatest storytelling tools in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps. Specifically, you might find the guided tour block interesting. Check out this blog for more information: Now Available in ArcGIS StoryMaps: Guided Tour 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I'm always more than a little leery to build something that is still marked as Beta.  In addition, I find it extremely confusing to keep track of what kind of story map I'm going to get when I author it from AGOL.  It's pretty straight forward when you start with the main story map URL, you are obviously in classic or the new.  Starting from an organizational account, not so much.   It's not as if the classic story maps aren't supported, they are still right there when you choose an application template, same as any of the other configurable ones.  

Although I like the new story map format when I need Cascade, trying to recreate all the functionality that was found in the original set of story map templates is more than a bit of a pain.  Map Tour especially should be extremely straight forward, not something I have to hunt out, then read a tutorial in order to figure out how it works.

My HTML was really straight forward I thought,  just a capture, the photo credit in italics and a hyperlink.  I was using only the HTML tags that were listed in the documents, which BTW was also a journey to try to discover.  

It has eventually settled down and hopefully it won't keep happening.  This story map is due to go out to all state employees, so I hope its stable!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Tracy -- Thanks for the additional feedback, and I'm glad your tour seems to be working now.

Guided tour will be out of beta in a few weeks. As a bit of context, the "beta" label doesn't mean a feature isn't stable. It means that we don't quite consider it "feature complete." Beta features are early versions of features that have limited capability compared to our vision for what the feature will become. We consider releasing a feature when it has enough capability that it can still meet some storytellers' needs so we want to release it to see how people will use it and what feedback we get.

In general, the popular storytelling experiences that were available in classic are available as blocks in the new builder. The article below, which is available on our website (the Resources link in the (?) menu in the header when you are in ArcGIS StoryMaps), might help make the connections between the classic and current versions of these tools. We also have some plans for making these pieces more discoverable in the future, so keep an eye out for that.

Moving to the new ArcGIS StoryMaps

Hope this is helpful!
Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

One of the main "deal breakers" for us, is the need to have the option to use our own web map in a story. That was pretty common for the classic map, but it's been hit or miss for the newer ones.   It's not that we aren't using the Esri base maps, but time after time we get asked to focus the map just to our state.  Either we need to add a heavier outline, or a mask to filter as an overlay onto the Esri gray canvas.  This gives just enough contrast that we stand out a bit from our neighbors.     

We tend to not use the newer templates when we can't substitute our own web map.  I was going to put this as feedback, but then your feedback link was broken!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Tracy -- Are you referring specifically to a guided tour? You can already add any web map or web scene you like to a story map. There are, however, currently limited options for basemaps specifically for guided tours and express maps.

In a few weeks we'll be expanding these basemap options, and later this summer we plan to add the ability for you to use any web map in these situations. Stay tuned!

One of Esri's link redirect services is having a temporary issue, so that's why the feedback link on the GeoNet page is not working. The feedback link in the story builder header is always available as well and works via email.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Yes, guided tours in particular.  The lack of having an option for our own web map is what led me to using a classic story map in the first place for our map tour.  I assumed you would be adding that in at some point.  I look forward to the time I don't have to pop back and forth between old and new.  It gets pretty complicated to manage content when you have to keep track of how each is going to behave.  

0 Kudos