Mailto links in Journal story map

Jump to solution
10-31-2017 02:09 PM
RamseyJeff
New Contributor III

Hi there,

Trying to include a mailto link in the storymap I'm working on--I've figured out how to do this, opening up an email client new message window, but every time it also opens a new blank tab in my web browser. I'm using Chrome. Seems to have something to do with the "Target=blank" in code, but I don't know what to replace that line with so that it keeps the user within the storymap.

Thanks for your help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue described above with mailto links in Map Journal is a known issue that is not likely to be fixed.

Mailto links are now supported in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps. See https://community.esri.com/message/884208-mailto-links 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What does your link look like? Is  it something like this:

<a href="mailto:someone@example.com?Subject=subject here&Body=body text">
    Link display text
</a>

I suppose it also depends if a client has an email application installed. 

0 Kudos
RamseyJeff
New Contributor III

Here's the source code: <a href="mailto:treeteam@irvingtonpdx.com" target="_blank">. This works for opening up a mail client, however it also opens up a blank tab in my web browser. When I erase the target="_blank" it doesn't change anything, in fact it reappears.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

So it probably needs a value in the target property. Does using "_self", "_parent" or "_top" change anything? Maybe it will be overwritten automatically, but it is worth a shot.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I just tested and all have the same behavior, a new blank page will be opened.

0 Kudos
RamseyJeff
New Contributor III

Nope, none of them work, and it gets overwritten each time. Adding a "mailto" button to the Edit Section window would be a great improvement in the next update.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Would be good to create an idea for it: ArcGIS Ideas 

Just to be sure, I will tag Rupert Essinger  and OEvans-esristaff who know a lot more than me about StoryMaps.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue described above with mailto links in Map Journal is a known issue that is not likely to be fixed.

Mailto links are now supported in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps. See https://community.esri.com/message/884208-mailto-links 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps