Is there a way to make the overview map zoom level to be closer?

Jump to solution
12-07-2015 11:24 AM
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

I created a story map using the countdown template and I was wondering if there is a way to make the overview map zoom level to be closer? Currently, it looks like this:

But I would like the default zoom level to look like this:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

I adjusted the Initial overview map zoom level for wider map aspect ratio, and this adjusted the problem.  Unfortunately, it adjusts the overview map and the close up map, so this will not work for what I want.  Thanks, though.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

In the config.js file, there is a setting for initial zoom level:

//Initial zoom level for overview map
initialZoomLevel: 2,
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

I tried different numbers but it didn't have an effect on the zoom level for the map.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I downloaded the template and tried it on my end... It works well:

Change "initialZoomLevel""

Re-load map:

0 Kudos
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

I adjusted the Initial overview map zoom level for wider map aspect ratio, and this adjusted the problem.  Unfortunately, it adjusts the overview map and the close up map, so this will not work for what I want.  Thanks, though.

0 Kudos
LeeBock
New Contributor III

Hi Chaya,

Alas, this would also require customization of the javascript to fully operate as you intend.  The zoom level is determined at the beginning.  As Chris correctly indicated, you can change the settings in the config (say, inititalZoomLevel = 5 and initialZoomLevelWide = 6).  This will probably produce the results you are looking for when the overview map is small.  But this same zoom level will be applied when the map is large, and chances are that won't look right -- unless the zoom level accommodates all of your points.

Lee