How to upload a shapefile to my story map

Jump to solution
01-10-2018 04:41 PM
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I can't figure out how to upload a shapefile.  Do I need to upload it somewhere before trying to add it to my map?  Using the story builder doesn't seem to allow me to upload anything, just choose a map from various online places with which I am not familiar.  The first option, My Content, seems a likely place to upload something, but I don't know where that is.  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

To add a shapefile into a web map, you first create a zip file from all of its separate files (because a shapefile consists of several component files on disk). You can then upload that into a web map as a layer. See the 'Add layers from files' section in this help topic: Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Rupert

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I did find My Contents, and I think I need to package my shapefile in some way in order to make it uploadable.  I can probably figure it out. 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could share the shapefiles as Hosted Feature Layers using ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro (Preferable). Also zipped shapefiles can be uploaded to My Contents.

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Think Location
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

To add a shapefile into a web map, you first create a zip file from all of its separate files (because a shapefile consists of several component files on disk). You can then upload that into a web map as a layer. See the 'Add layers from files' section in this help topic: Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Rupert

AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I did figure it out. 

0 Kudos