How to add other maps to a Story Map Series or Journal template

Jump to solution
12-08-2018 12:54 PM
JuliaGoldsworth
New Contributor III

I have tried used the Story Map Series template and the Story Map Journal template.

I cannot get my hosted feature layer to add to either one.

Also, is it possible to add several Story Map Tours as tabs in a Story Map Series?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

HI

It sounds like you are trying to embed the ArcGIS Map Viewer into the story map. To add a web map into a Map Series or Map Journal, choose the Map option then select the map:

See also: Esri Story Map Series Tutorial 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Julia

Story Map Journal, Series, and Cascade let you add one or more web maps into your story. So if you add your hosted feature layer onto a web map, you'll be able to add that web map into your story. You can also add web maps that other people have authored. 

You can embed another story, like a Story Map Journal or Story Map Tour, into a tab in a Story Map Series. Some authors tend to over-use this ability though: it can be a bit disorienting for readers to encounter several different storytelling styles inside the same story, and may not work all that well on a mobile device or in a small display. 

See this question: Esri Story Maps - FAQ 

Rupert

JuliaGoldsworth
New Contributor III

Well, it works, sorta. I embedded the webpage into a tab in the Story Map Series but the map does not appear. The user would need to click "Open in Map Viewer" again. Why won't the layer just open?

Looks like we'll switch to Story Map Journal and redo all our maps.

Thanks Rupert!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

HI

It sounds like you are trying to embed the ArcGIS Map Viewer into the story map. To add a web map into a Map Series or Map Journal, choose the Map option then select the map:

See also: Esri Story Map Series Tutorial