How do I copy an uploaded image from one story map to another?

Jump to solution
09-18-2017 08:24 AM
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

We have created a complex Story Map (Map Journal) with embedded Story Maps and apps that contains a large number of images. These images were uploaded to the various Story Map chapters and embedded in our main Story Map. All is working well, but now it is time to create a Spanish language version, so we copied the Story Map using GeoJobe into a new folder and made the text updates in Spanish.  However, we found that in the Spanish copy there are no longer any of the uploaded images stored (screenshots below for illustration).  We tried using 'ArcGIS Online Assistant' to change the image path to the path in the original story map document, but only got an error message (blank page with the loading bar).

We understand that if we had used web URLs for our images we wouldn't have this problem, but wonder if there is anything short of re-uploading the images to the copied Story Map that would made the images available to the copy.

Original version with uploaded image

Original Story map with embedded image

Spanish Copy - uploaded image no longer available

Spanish copy - embedded image no longer available

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Dan -- Unfortunately, it looks like you've encountered a current limitation of the tool you've used to copy your story map. I'd suggest that you get in touch with the developers and ask them to enhance the application to copy item resource files and update the image links when a story map is copied.

If your story is going to be public, you should be able to use the links for the images in the English version in the Spanish version. Just make sure you're not including tokens in the URLs and that you use HTTPS links. The URLs should look like this:

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/[itemid]/resources/[image-name].jpg

If you can make your stories public and share the links I can take a look to try to figure out what might not be working.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Dan -- Unfortunately, it looks like you've encountered a current limitation of the tool you've used to copy your story map. I'd suggest that you get in touch with the developers and ask them to enhance the application to copy item resource files and update the image links when a story map is copied.

If your story is going to be public, you should be able to use the links for the images in the English version in the Spanish version. Just make sure you're not including tokens in the URLs and that you use HTTPS links. The URLs should look like this:

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/[itemid]/resources/[image-name].jpg

If you can make your stories public and share the links I can take a look to try to figure out what might not be working.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps