Feature services don't show up in Story Map

11-20-2019 03:11 PM
MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

I have some point feature services that are stored in my content in AGOL. The feature services show up in my web map, but they don't show up in my Story Map series that references the web map. They show up in the legend in the story map but not the map itself.  The data, map, and app are shared to the same internal group. I've tried clearing my cache and using different browsers and the problem still persists. I tried deleting the feature service and re-publishing and the problem still exists. I've tried changing the symbology in my web map and the problem still exists. I can't figure out how to get the points to show up in the story map. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Tags (2)
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Molly,

Are you using the new Story Map builder or a classic Series template in ArcGIS Online? Here's a great blog post from the Story Maps team regarding the new Story Map builder:

ArcGIS StoryMaps 

Do any errors show up in Developer tools when you add the map? That might help identify where the issue is coming from. 

The only other time I've seen something like this was resolved by using Firefox rather than Chrome, but it sounds like you've already tried that. 

Hopefully the Developer tools will shed a little more light on what's going on.

Fingers crossed!

-Lauren

0 Kudos
MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lauren,

I used the classic series template to create the story map. I don't get any errors like inaccessible layers. And yes, I tried using Firefox and the problem still persisted. 

Thanks for your input!

Molly

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Molly -- Can you share the map and the story with Everyone? That would help in the troubleshooting.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Owen,

Unfortunately, I can't share the map and story to everyone. It contains sensitive client information that falls under HIPAA. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the update! Since there aren't any errors in the Developer tools, isolating when and where the issue occurs is probably the best way forward. To that end, here are some questions to start doing so:

• Do all Story Map Series fail to display this data?
  • Do other data display correctly?
  • Are there any filters on the data? Does removing them allow the data to display?
  • Does changing the symbology allow the points to show up? etc.

If you can, log a case with us in Tech Support and we can help you through that isolation process. 

If not, hopefully the above questions give you an idea of how we'd start troubleshooting and get you some good information!

Best,

Lauren

0 Kudos
MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lauren,

I created a brand new map and added that to the existing story map. The data appeared in the story map. However, once I closed out of the story map and reopened it, then the data disappeared. 

I created a brand new series story map and used the new map. Again, the data appeared in the story map until I closed out and reopened. 

I created a copy of the existing map and re-added the point data. It still did not work in the existing story map or test story map. 

The data doesn't have filters in the map and changing the symbology doesn't make the data appear. The other data in the map shows up in the story map. So it appears to be an issue with the point data. I tried deleting the data and republishing to AGOL and the same issues occur. 

I'll log a case with tech. support because I am stuck.

Thanks,

Molly

0 Kudos
MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

I contacted ESRI technical support. They suspect it may be a bug. However, the work around is to combine my individual point feature classes into one new feature class and then publish that to my AGOL content. After I did this, the points show up in my web map and story map at all scales. The original points were created using the Mean Center tool in ArcGIS Pro. So we aren't sure if it has something to do with that tool. Also, after further investigation, the original points do show up if you zoom all the way in to the point. So they are not honoring the scale level set in the web map. If we find out the root cause, I will post so others know. 

Mette_BalslevGreve
New Contributor

I have the same exact issue, however I'm not sure what the work around could be in my case. I have published a vector polygon layer to AGOL and created a map in ArcGIS Online, but when I add this to my Story Map, the polygons don't show. 

0 Kudos
MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

The ESRI technical analyst had me recreate a new ArcGIS Pro project, new file geodatabase, and rerun my geoprocessing tool. When I published the new data in AGOL, it worked. So it appeared something got corrupt in my existing ArcGIS Pro project or file geodatabase. Perhaps you could try that too. 

0 Kudos