Embedding infographics in story maps

Jump to solution
11-01-2017 01:17 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am looking to embed a dynamic HTML infographic into a storymap. Where is the best place to host the standalone html page on the web? I tried saving it to google drive but couldn't get it to work. If anyone can be of assistance that would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi William -- you can host your page anywhere that can host static web pages like a standard web server, Amazon S3, Windows Azure, GoDaddy, etc. Just make sure to make your files public when you upload them or else you won't be able to see them inside the story map.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi William -- you can host your page anywhere that can host static web pages like a standard web server, Amazon S3, Windows Azure, GoDaddy, etc. Just make sure to make your files public when you upload them or else you won't be able to see them inside the story map.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yesss thank you so much. Worked perfectly with AWS

0 Kudos
Rohit_Venkat_GandhiMendadhala3
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

For example, if we don't have access to servers. Can we place these exported dynamic HTML infographics on DropBox/Box/Google Drive and get a shareable link from them in order to use them in story maps?

Also, are these infographics interactive after we integrate them into our Story Maps or just static images?

I have tried the same but somehow it didnt work and it keeps on loading forever and says "refused to connect".

Would really appreciate if you could help me with this. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rohit, 

The reason you're probably getting a "refused to connect" error after embedding content from Google Drive/Box/DropBox is that their server doesn't allow you to embed a content into another website like Story Maps. This might be because they might only allow content to embedded within places of the same domain/origin. So, you would have probably run into these errors: CORS errors - HTTP | MDN 

If you don't have access to external servers, you can host using a web server that your organization uses to host content via their website where you can control CORS and other same-origin headers. 

0 Kudos
PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

With the Business Analyst Web App release in a few weeks, this will be much simpler using a new workflow in BA Web App. You will be able to embed sites, maps, infographics, and reports in StoryMaps from right inside BA Web App. Learn more here:  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/bus-analyst/analytics/whats-coming-in-business-analyst/

0 Kudos