Customizing StoryMaps Application

Jump to solution
08-03-2015 04:29 PM
AWuenschel
New Contributor II

I have a few questions:

1) Can you download a storymaps application that has been built online (while being hosted by ArcGIS Online)?

2) Is there a good tutorial for building a StoryMaps project from the downloaded application? I have no idea how to even open up the app?

3) Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to edit the application code via inspect element on the online version have those changes stay?

Thanks very much,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

1)  I believe you are asking if there is a way to download/export the configuration of a completed Story Map, is that right? Sorry, there is currently no way to do this, but we are considering options for this in the future. Can you please share the workflow you'd like to accomplish by downloading the app or exporting the configuration?

2) There is a lot of information in the readme file on each GitHub repository. Just scroll down from the main page and you will see the readme file content...

2015-08-03 at 9.31.45 PM.JPG

2015-08-03 at 9.34.38 PM.JPG

3) Correct, when you edit code via Inspect Element or other browser tools you are only changing the files on your local machine. It would be a slight security flaw if you could change HTML/JS files on someone else's app or server! 😉

Hope this is helpful!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

1)  I believe you are asking if there is a way to download/export the configuration of a completed Story Map, is that right? Sorry, there is currently no way to do this, but we are considering options for this in the future. Can you please share the workflow you'd like to accomplish by downloading the app or exporting the configuration?

2) There is a lot of information in the readme file on each GitHub repository. Just scroll down from the main page and you will see the readme file content...

2015-08-03 at 9.31.45 PM.JPG

2015-08-03 at 9.34.38 PM.JPG

3) Correct, when you edit code via Inspect Element or other browser tools you are only changing the files on your local machine. It would be a slight security flaw if you could change HTML/JS files on someone else's app or server! 😉

Hope this is helpful!
Owen

Owen Evans
AWuenschel
New Contributor II

Thank you, Owen! In answer to your question, I was hoping to modify the tab colors and add more tabs - but I had already started the time intensive process of adding about 30 tabs to a StoryMaps application online and I did not want to have to redo this work. Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Ami

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Ami,

You can use the application ID created by ArcGIS Online and pass it to your hosted version of your application in the index.html.  This will pass along all of the settings you created with the builder.

More info here:

Esri/map-series-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

Mark

MelissaMcGehee1
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

In response to your comment about the ability to download and customize an existing Story Map - how far in the future is your consideration for this ability taking you?   I have a Story Map that I have spent a lot of time on and have recently been told that it needs to be customized. I would love to not have to start from scratch.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Sorry, we are unsure at this point.

The workflow Mark shared sounds like it will meet your needs. Download the app, customize it, host it yourself, and then point to your existing app configuration in ArcGIS Online. You won't have to start configuring the app from scratch.

Please let me know if this will work, and if not why and I can try to help - thanks!

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MelissaMcGehee1
New Contributor III

Thanks, Owen. I will give that a shot once we have our server up and running.

0 Kudos