CSVs and pushing application to third party server

Jump to solution
03-06-2015 08:24 AM
AmyYang
New Contributor

Hello!

I adapted the shortlist app for my organization and now we'd like to push it to our website. Our website, however, is hosted by a third party. Our CSVs contain potentially sensitive information and so we'd like as much control over them as possible. If we can update CSVs/layers without having to go through our third party host, then it would much easier for us to maintain and control the kinds of information we send outside our organization.

From my understanding of how the code pulls information, the CSVs are uploaded to ArcGIS, and the code pulls all geospatial data from ArcGIS, not the server hosting the site. If this is the case, then all we need to do is send our third party host the template I've adapted, and we can update CSV data by logging in online from a separate server (i.e. our office), rather than sending the updated CSVs to the third party. Is this understanding correct?

Thank you so much!

Amy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

That is correct: the Story Map Shortlist accesses a web map containing layers based on data that is also in ArcGIS Online. For example you can upload CSV or shapefiles directly into the web map. There's no relation between the server on which the Shortlist is installed and the data displayed in your Shortlist, So to deploy a Shortlist the only thing that you need to put onto your third party server is the code for the app which you downloaded and then configured (and maybe customized too). The web map and the data it contains is all in the ArcGIS Online cloud.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

That is correct: the Story Map Shortlist accesses a web map containing layers based on data that is also in ArcGIS Online. For example you can upload CSV or shapefiles directly into the web map. There's no relation between the server on which the Shortlist is installed and the data displayed in your Shortlist, So to deploy a Shortlist the only thing that you need to put onto your third party server is the code for the app which you downloaded and then configured (and maybe customized too). The web map and the data it contains is all in the ArcGIS Online cloud.

AmyYang
New Contributor

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos