Crowdsource storymap photo download

Jump to solution
09-20-2016 06:55 AM
ThomasEbert
Occasional Contributor

Hi all!

Is it possible to download or save the photos form the crowdsource gallery to my desktop or mobile device? If so, are the EXIF informations preserved in the images?

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

For various technical reasons, we do not load the image using a standard HTML image element. Because of this, the browser will not give you "Save Photo" option if you right click over the photo in the gallery. You do not need to create a new map or feature layer. When you created the crowdsource story, the app automatically created a new feature layer and web map and added to your ArcGIS Online account. They will be in the same folder that you saved your app. If you did not specify a folder, they should all be in the root directory with the same name that you initially saved your app. The layer name will just use camel case syntax (if your app is call My Crowdsource Story, your layer will be named myCrowdsourceStory).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The photos collected in the Story Map crowdsource are uploaded as attachments on the feature layer created with your story. If you open the feature layer item in ArcGIS Online and click on the data tab, the last field in the table is "Photos and Files" which will give you a link to open that feature's attachments in a new tab. Once you open the photo, just right click to save the photo. At this time we do not provide a bulk download option and the exif data is not preserved with the photo.

ThomasEbert
Occasional Contributor

Hello Stephen!

Thank you for your prompt reply. So, it is not (yet) possible to download or save photos directly from the crowdsource gallery to my phone or desktop. For this, I have to create a new AOL-map with this feature layer to get the link for the attachments.

But it would be really great and helpful, if the possibility to download/save a photo from the gallery would be implemented in future :-))

Tom

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

For various technical reasons, we do not load the image using a standard HTML image element. Because of this, the browser will not give you "Save Photo" option if you right click over the photo in the gallery. You do not need to create a new map or feature layer. When you created the crowdsource story, the app automatically created a new feature layer and web map and added to your ArcGIS Online account. They will be in the same folder that you saved your app. If you did not specify a folder, they should all be in the root directory with the same name that you initially saved your app. The layer name will just use camel case syntax (if your app is call My Crowdsource Story, your layer will be named myCrowdsourceStory).

ThomasEbert
Occasional Contributor

A workaround an PC is right click and "Save Background" (IE) or "show background ..." (Firefox). But on mobiles there is no such possibility to do this. I wrote an idea for such a feature.

0 Kudos
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

I do not see the photos saved in either the folder or root directory. Is there another place I should look for the saved pictures?

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The photos uploaded to the Story Map Crowdsource are uploaded as attachments to the feature service. Open the feature service item in ArcGIS Online, click on the "Data" tab. Then you will see a "Photos and Files" field that has a "show" link that can see and download the photos for that feature.

pokateo_
New Contributor III

Thank you!

0 Kudos