Creating a Storymap picker (Cascade)

02-13-2019 06:34 AM
MalteSchwickert
New Contributor II

Dear all,

we are currently developing multiple storymaps which we want users to navigate through by using one central Storymap Cascade that provides links to the other Storymaps.

Such as this one: Placing Oral Histories 

When scrolling down in this Storymap you will find an interactive image which is used to provide links for other, subordinated Storymaps. Direct link: Refugee Stories 

Can someone tell us how to create an interactive image, just like the one that is used here?

Thanks very much in advance!

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Malte,

Thanks for reaching out. The element you're asking about is actually a stand-alone webpage built explicitly for this purpose, and then embedded in the story the same way you'd embed any other web page. The member of the Story Maps team who created it is traveling out of the country right now, but we'll be sure to have him follow up with you on the specifics as soon as he returns. 

In the meantime, another way to create a "chapter picker" in Cascade stories would be to utilize hyperlinked images. We've used that trick at the end of this piece, which is an introduction to an ongoing series we're in creating: Living in the Age of Humans (Use the 'Chapters' bookmark to jump to the example.) 

To create that, we've simply taken screenshots of the cover page for each chapter, and then followed these steps to turn the images into clickable buttons. 

Hope that helps, and we'll be in touch soon about the webpage in Placing Oral Histories. If you have other questions in the meantime don't hesitate to ask!

MalteSchwickert
New Contributor II

Hi Hannah,

thanks for your quick answer and the good alternative that you have introduced.

Our aim is to map human mobility through multiple biographies, added up in one "main Storymap" that allows users to navigate to the individual biographies, represented in individual Storymaps. For doing this, we really like the approach that is used in the Placing Oral Histories Storymap.

As our Storymap lineup is planned to be constantly growing, we are looking for a solution that allows us to 1) have a fixed map for choosing individual biographies from the collection and 2) working with a growing amount of data and updating the fixed map at a reasonable workload.

Thanks again!

Best,

Malte

MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

To the creator of the Placing Oral History storymap - that is an absolutely first-rate story map IMHO - such an excellent balance between flow of the storyline, visuals, quotes, scrolling, clicking, etc. - I just went through Aghiad Amir and found it a riveting narrative. 

MalteSchwickert
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for the kind words, Mia.

Be sure to pass them on to the team behind the Placing Oral Histories Storymap, as this is not our work!

0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I just realized that, thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Makes total sense, Malte, and sounds like a really great project! I hope you'll share it with us when it goes live.

My colleague who created that interactive element in Placing Oral Histories will be back early next week. He can provide further guidance on what is required to make something like this for your own needs. 

We'll be in touch soon!

0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Please pass along my comments to the creators of the Placing Oral History storymap - that is an absolutely first-rate story map IMHO - such an excellent balance between flow of the storyline, visuals, quotes, scrolling, clicking, etc. - I just went through Aghiad Amir and found it a riveting narrative.   Thank you for the experience --

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I will definitely do so—thanks so much for the kind words! 

0 Kudos