Changing the font face of story map in localhost.

Jump to solution
06-23-2017 01:47 AM
McNeilGaila
New Contributor

I've download the master_cascade.zip from https://github.com/Esri/storymap-cascade#customize-the-look-and-feel and I want to customize the font face and color. If I change the font face in my story map hosted in localhost:8080/cascade, will it also change the font face of my story map hosted in ArcGIS Online? Please I need to know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

No, any changes to the app code that lives on your local machine will not affect the version of the app that everyone else uses to view your story on ArcGIS Online. You'd need to host your modified app code on your own server, configure it to read your story from ArcGIS Online, and point people to the version of the app on your web server. This article contains an introduction to hosting your own story map.

Next week we are releasing an update to Cascade that will give you a few options for changing the fonts in the builder (without downloading the code). These changes will also make it easier to customize the font if you do download and host the story map yourself. We'll post an article on our developer blog after the release with more details on how to do that.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

No, any changes to the app code that lives on your local machine will not affect the version of the app that everyone else uses to view your story on ArcGIS Online. You'd need to host your modified app code on your own server, configure it to read your story from ArcGIS Online, and point people to the version of the app on your web server. This article contains an introduction to hosting your own story map.

Next week we are releasing an update to Cascade that will give you a few options for changing the fonts in the builder (without downloading the code). These changes will also make it easier to customize the font if you do download and host the story map yourself. We'll post an article on our developer blog after the release with more details on how to do that.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
McNeilGaila
New Contributor

Hello Owen it's me again. I hope you don't get annoyed.

1. What's ArcGIS OAuth application ID? Why is it I can't find it elsewhere in my app even in the settings? By the way, I'm not yet setting my Story Map to Public since I want to finish the slides first. 

2. So if I host the app code in my server, I can change the font face/color and the one that being hosted in the ArcGIS will be unaffected. So that if I want people to look at my Story Map with different font and color, I'll give them the URL of the app code hosted in my server and those viewers will see no different (i.e. has the same font face and color just like everyone with story map) in my story map hosted in ArcGIS. Therefore the purpose of hosting the app code is just for customizing the font face, colors, background and its style. And the use of app id is to connect/bridge the app code to the contents hosted in ArcGIS. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks! 

Sorry for my English.

McNeil,

from The Philippines

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

McNeil, You are correct with your second question. Hosting the code allows you have a customized version of the app. You can also change the "URL" field (under the settings tab) on the item in ArcGIS Online so everyone will be linked to your server and see the customized version instead of the version hosted on ArcGIS Online. The appId will still reference the same item in ArcGIS Online.

To your first question, OAuth is a standard authentication protocol that allows an application authenticate without having direct access to your username and password. Instead, when you authorize an app (popup dialog), the application will only get a token which will expire after a set amount of time. In order to use OAuth, you must register the application with ArcGIS Online. This id is not saved in you settings. Once you go through the process of registering your app, you will be provided the oauth id. Here's a help article about registering your app: Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
McNeilGaila
New Contributor

Hello Stephen.

It's me again. I've already asked this question in this page: https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/customizing-the-theme-and-fonts-in-cascade-16c90960d77...  BUT there's no reply yet. Wonder if you know how to. Here's the original question:

I’m using Cascade story map. I want to change the color themes but using the ArcGIS Online Assistant to edit the JSON of my Story Map, I can’t find these settings:

• bgMain
  • textMain
  • themeMajor light

And the rest of the class/tags.

I kept looking in the code but I can’t really find it. It’s like those tags aren’t there. I even look for the Description and Data but I can’t find those tags.

0 Kudos