Changing Behaviour of link in StoryMap Series Header

Jump to solution
08-24-2017 05:04 AM
IanManning3
New Contributor

Hi folks, 

I'm currently working on a web-application that is built using a series of linked StoryMaps. It's coming together really well, but I've run into an issue that I haven't been able to sort out yet. I've been able to change link behaviour from opening in new window/tab for other links by altering the <a> attribute from _blank to _self in the StoryMap JSON through the ArcGIS Online Administator.

However, I'm not able to change behaviour for the link in the StoryMap Header. There's no HTML I can see for the link, simply a string (linkURL) containing a URL in the JSON object marked header (see attached example)

Any ideas on how I can change this behaviour so when clicked-on, the link will open in the same window.

Ex.

},
      "header": {
        "linkText": "back to the Atlas",
        "linkURL": "https://cogsnscc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=42fadc11e19e473dadfd99c6a652e30e/",
        "logoURL": "http://i.imgur.com/w4v0a8e.jpg",
        "logoTarget": "",
        "social": {
          "facebook": true,
          "twitter": true,
          "bitly": true
        },
        "compactSize": true
      }
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ian -- The behavior of links in the header is controlled in the code, so that's not possible to alter in builder or by editing the story JSON. To change that you'd need to download and host a modified version of the code in which you've made that change.

Can you please share the reason why you want that link to open in the same window so we can consider providing an option for authors to do that in the future?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ian -- The behavior of links in the header is controlled in the code, so that's not possible to alter in builder or by editing the story JSON. To change that you'd need to download and host a modified version of the code in which you've made that change.

Can you please share the reason why you want that link to open in the same window so we can consider providing an option for authors to do that in the future?

Owen Evans
IanManning3
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I thought that was probably the case. 

The reason I would like an option to control the link behaviour, is because I'm trying to link StoryMaps together in a cohesive way. 

I've been able to build something pretty slick by using a Cascade Story Map as an index, that links out to themed Story Map Series (tabbed). I want the option to go back from the tabbed Story Maps to the Cascade Index. Opening a new window, really compromises the flow of the UX.

Thanks,
Ian

0 Kudos
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

I've been wondering about something similar (and Owen if I should start a new "Question" or "Idea", let me know) but instead of with basic URL links it's for embedded content/apps. For various reasons, in the Cascade template in particular, we've been embedding other story map apps into Cascade story maps. Embedding the content/apps does the trick and means folks don't have to open a separate browser window, but if we don't enable an Explore button then users get stuck in the interactive map of the embedded story map when trying to scroll, and if we enable the "Explore" button then people overlook it and/or say it's not intuitive. I think an option would be similar to what Ian is thinking; for us it would be great to have a static placeholder photo with a central/obvious "Click to explore/view" button that opens the embedded application in a big pop up window (not a separate browser window), lets folks explore, and then they have to close that pop up window in order to continue on with the rest of the story map. 

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lindsay -- That's a nice idea and I can very much see how that would be helpful for story map readers. I'll add that idea to our internal system and we will discuss adding it in a future release. Thanks for the feedback!

Owen Evans
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Sounds good, thanks Owen!

StevenLubar
New Contributor

Another vote for having an option to open in the same window, for a different reason. I'm using story maps as a an interactive in a museum exhibit. There's a home page that links out to the story maps, and I'm using the logo area as a back button.

0 Kudos