Cascade StoryMap - disable scrolling?

08-21-2019 03:16 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to disable scrolling for Cascade, until a user clicks 'explore', like in some of the other templates?  I was hoping maybe it was a URL parameter though it doesn't seem to be the case.

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kevin -- Can you provide a little more information about what you'd like to do? In what context do you want a Cascade story not to scroll? If you don't want a scrolling story, perhaps you might want to choose another template like Series that presents a different navigation experience?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you embed a Cascade in a website, and it is like half or a quarter of the page size.  You wouldn't want users accidentally getting their mouse wheel "trapped" in it if they hover over it and mean to scroll the entire page down. Basically it's a key ability to being able to embed any kind of story map.  I originally went with Cascade because I liked the design. I like the way the text overlays photos, and its vertical 'story telling'. (I have also had students use it for its ability to automatically scroll down, while playing various multimedia, it's an amazing template for presentations)  Initially I had put it on this page with a map of points for each Board in one of the slides.  I may merge it into the About StoryMap Cascade I created which shows off some photos we have taken of around town. About Us  (cascade) https://public.sagis.org/agenda/storymap/  This is essentially a universal issue with embedding any kind of vertically scrolling content so if it can be added to Cascade or perhaps the new StoryMaps with whatever will replace Cascade that would be useful.  The easiest way to implement this would be a URL parameters, so I could embed it with the URL parameter &scrolling=false or something and it wouldn't scroll with the mousewheel, until they click an 'explore' button (which would appear if this parameter was true) or they manually drag it down with the scrollbar of the frame. And of course this scrollable parameter would be the same for slides with a webmap in them, they would scroll, but then clicking explore again would switch the cursor to a map zooming control. So perhaps the more general 'explore' button for non-webmap slides would say 'scroll' instead of 'explore', which would be reserved only for slides with webmaps.

Thanks for inquiring Chris.  I absolutely love StoryMaps and your documentation and examples on the Corner and Git are so helpful!