Cascade builder. User acess

06-28-2016 05:13 PM
ConorGraham
New Contributor II

Hi guys can a user not see/activate my slide setups I've created when I add my scene view to the Cascade builder.  I would like to 'bookmark' locations in the scene.  Thanks Con.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Conor,

At this time your readers do not have access to your slides. If you want to share several slides with your readers I'd recommend adding several views in an immersive section using the same scene and set a different slide for each view.

Would that work for telling your story?

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ConorGraham
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

Thanks for getting back. Yeh I've starting to do this but I've getting a couple of WebGL crashes in my browser as I transition from one to the other. Just wondering would access to slides be more stable.

Best,

Con.

On Jun 29, 2016 6:57 AM, Owen Evans

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Conor,

Sorry that is giving you trouble. Are you able to share your story with us so we can investigate those crashes?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ConorGraham
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen for getting back, yeh it's weird I've even tested it on my Alienware PC at work and the WebGL content crashes sometimes, Edge is bit more stable than Chrome but crashes happen here too. Running up to date browsers too. Have seen same issue on my XPS15 laptop, thought it was a spec issue but have seen same issue on new A51 desktop to which is running 2x cuda cards :-). Our public address for the app is

go.qub.ac.uk/4dsomme<http://go.qub.ac.uk/4dsomme>

Have a play and see if you notice any of the scenes falling over.

Best,

Conor.

Sent from my Mi phone

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Conor,

Great story! I actually came across your story last week when I was looking for new Cascade stories people had made and was admiring the great historical maps. Excellent work!!

I just viewed the story from beginning to end and then back up to the beginning interacting with several scenes along the way and things worked well (no crashes). I'm using Chrome on a 2012 MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM, so nothing special. Maybe try clearing the caches on your browsers? If you see another crash it would be helpful if you could please capture a screenshot of any errors in the browser dev tools console and post them here.

I also wanted to clarify my earlier suggestion since it looks like you haven't added any immersive sections with multiple views -- this might make your story flow a bit better. For example, in the part that starts with "Guillemont and Ginchy" consider making that one long immersive section with a single web scene. Instead of having the sequential sections between each scene (the white areas "Guillemont and Ginchy," "Guillemont Village," and "Ginchy Village," etc. have a single immersive section with views for each one. For each view you can configure the web scene to show a different slide in the Appearance tab.

2016-07-06 at 11.47.33 AM.JPG

Here's a quick example I worked up with your media...

http://arcg.is/29tHmxr

Also check out this story, which is a tutorial of a similar technique showing how to do multiple views with the same map.

http://arcg.is/29ig7Db

Keep up the great work!

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos